Poll

Which Social site is more useful?

Facebook
21 (53.8%)
Tumblr
18 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: SOCIAL Division Semis: Facebook vs Tumblr  (Read 12060 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
SOCIAL Division Semis: Facebook vs Tumblr
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:19 am »
In the Social division, the ever popular Facebook faces off against the up-and-comer Tumblr. This match is going to be all about the fans!

Tumblr's got the “loud and rowdy sixth man” advantage in this match- its fans have been lining up to get tickets for days. Facebook does have a solid fan base itself- can it compare to the enthusiasm of the Tumblr crowd? Facebook did have a more solid win in the first round, but the Tumblr fans may carry their team to the top!

Vote here! Polls close Wednesday at midnight.

- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014, 10:59 am by Maribeth »

lab320

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM for Lively Arts Series at Montgomery County Community College
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SOCIAL Division Semis: Facebook vs Tumblr
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:49 am »
In defense of Tumblr.

Tumblr might be relatively new to the social networking world, but it's become a important resource for stage managers. The microblogging platform paved a way for young stage managers to blog about their experiences and the ask feature allows aspiring SMs to ask working professionals for advice. Over time, we became close knit community and friends outside the website. When the blog SMblrsunite was born, the idea was to make a master list of the stage managers and theatre technicians on the site. The list is divided by blog URL, experience level and region. Say you want to move to NYC after college to pursue stage management, you can use the list to find an blog ran by NYC based professional stage manager to ask for advice. That's how you make the connections and contacts with this website.
Sure, Tumblr can be a distraction, but it's a good one. Honestly, becoming part of the SMblr community has been one of the best things that ever happened to me this year.
-L

jbreezy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of South Alabama
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager and Electrician, Athens Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:51 pm »
As moderators of SMblrsUnite, I admit that Leslie and I may be slightly biased. But I have found my last 3 jobs through the SMblr network, even before the Master List was born. We also keep lists of resource websites and try to feature blogs of stage managers of all types; a chance for them to be seen and recognized for their work. I think it is an important support system for many of us.
The moment you decide to stop learning is the moment you become bad at your job.

lab320

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:15 pm »
Biased? Me? Never. ;)
I'm not trashing Facebook, but I haven't received a sliver of SM advice or support from my Facebook friends.And frankly, I won't turn to them. It's always great to know that SMblr has your back when times are rough. I can't get that type of support from many of my facebook friends.   

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:29 pm »
So... anyone who isn't on the SMblr staff want to take a stab at why Facebook is the better tool?

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:00 pm »
In defense of Facebook:

I find it much easier to privately network on Facebook - I've gotten several job offers through Facebook friends and friends-of-friends.
Additionally, it's extremely quick and painless to create a private group for your cast and crew. Most of your members will already have an account, so they don't need to make one to get into the private group, where it's simple to disseminate information, and gives you another place to post information, to try to quell the "what time? where? who needs to be there?" phone calls.
AND it's easy to get your cast members talking to one another and planning social outings much more privately than you can do on Tumblr.

Oh, and there's the fact that you can keep track of full conversations, instead of Tumblr's annoying trait of making messages disappear once you reply.

I admit, I have used SMblr, but I'd much rather stick to Facebook.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

lab320

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:39 pm »
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. It's going to be a tight race.

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:28 pm »
I'm totally okay with disagreeing. I appreciate SMblr and have used it myself. I'm an active Tumblr user, but as far as keeping in touch with people I've worked with, I'd much rather use Facebook. *shrug* I don't find Tumblr as useful professionally as Facebook, or even LinkedIn. But it's great for doing research as a designer, and even to network with other SMs. I just don't see it AS useful...
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:39 pm »
I've never used Tumblr other than through Facebook links.

I have certainly done networking with folks on Facebook and use it to find out who's got a show going in the area and to mutually exchange discount codes if possible or "invite" to Facebook events. And I've certainly seen an actress say that she was hoping her voice was coming BACK when I knew we had a show the next day (these are one-off gigs, so we weren't in constant contact). Gave me a headsup that we might have an issue the following morning if she didn't feel better.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:20 am »
Here's what I know: Tumblr frequently is blocked by corporate firewalls. Facebook isn't. therefore facebook>tumblr.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:37 pm »
I'm a tumblr user (although I am a bit older than the usual tumblr demographic), and a member of SMblr, but my vote goes to Facebook. For  me personally, SMblr is a great resource but provides very little that SMNet doesn't do- a network of SMs sharing advice and experiences. The tumblr format makes everything more casual & personal than SMNet- lots more memes, microblogging, personal stories, but in terms of overall usefulness? Facebook wins.
EVERYONE has a Facebook, very few people won't "friend" their coworkers/castmates, it's easy to create a group, and it's much easier to keep in touch with actors that, for instance, I haven't worked with in a year or more but are in a show I'm going to see. When my phone decided not to receive texts a few weeks ago? Posted a status about it on Facebook and got messages on there instead of texts. When I have extra comps to my shows, I post it on Facebook.
It's a much better local tool than tumblr (in my opinion)- I think I only know one other DC-area SM on tumblr (hi @leastlikely!) but I'm friends on facebook with every SM I've worked with since I moved to DC, along with most of the actors, directors, designers, etc. That's where I'm going to go if I want to catch up with someone I haven't seen in a while- see what they're working on, oh you're down the street from my show, let's go get drinks!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:50 pm »
uncool as FB theoretically is, I have young cast members who check their FB status before email, phone, text or anything else. So it has become a communication tool to reach them quickly. Not an option on tumblr plus, well, too many platforms! I don't want to add yet another!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:34 pm »
loebtmc is onto another reason facebook can be helpful to stage managers....sometimes people post some...shall we say..."not in their best interests" posts on facebook forgetting that people can see it. Like "calling in sick because I was out drinking too much". Silly actors...silly.

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:06 pm »
Yeah, Nick. I've definitely caught some of those posts... Like a cast member who called out sick to a rehearsal (community theatre, they're allowed to...) then was tagged in pictures of a concert he went to.
Well, somebody got called into the Director's office when he returned to rehearsal. [to clarify: I didn't rat him out. Another cast member did, because they wanted to to go to the concert but decided the show was more important...]

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:47 pm »
This is one of our closer matches, ladies and gentlemen. Last week, a surge of Tumblr supporters came out at the last minute to sweep Twitter under the rug. Will Facebook see the same kind last minute push from this Tumblr team?

riotous