Poll

Which is the better tool?

Watered-Down Tea
3 (6.7%)
Photocopier
42 (93.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2012, 01:25 am

Author Topic: Regional, Round 3: Watered-Down Tea vs Photocopier  (Read 3770 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Regional, Round 3: Watered-Down Tea vs Photocopier
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 01:24 am »
Facing the Regional League this round is a match which will pit analog fans vs digital fans and pro vs amateur all at once.

Watered-down tea is the basis for an enormous number of liquid food props, and is also used in the manufacture of props and costumes as part of tea-dying to tone down bright fabrics for use under stage lighting. (This is why tea has made it to December Madness far as opposed to cola or kool-aid.) Food props in general are disputed as to their pertinence to stage managers, but even if you never touch them yourself you are certainly still aware of how crucial tea is to any show with food.

The photocopier has long been a soldier in the fight to opening night for stage managers, but with the rise of paperless scripts it may be slowly fading from view. Can this aging but powerful figure in the stage manager's battalion of allies still hold out and remain relevant when faced against an ancient, ageless and versatile beverage? Could stage managers actually accept doing a show without using a copier? How does the economic and environmental impact of the copier hold up against that of tea?

Inquiring minds want to know. Voting ends Tuesday at noon CST. Let the match begin!

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Regional, Round 3: Watered-Down Tea vs Photocopier
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:53 pm »

Could stage managers actually accept doing a show without using a copier?

Well, as long as you don't take away my scanner and printer, maybe.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 am »
Lol, I just got home from calling a show that uses watered down tea as the liquor and coffee. Drives me nuts making it every night.

Never would I ever want to work at a place which didn't have easy (and free) access to a photocopy machine.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:39 am »
Off-topic in this forum, but if making watered down tea is driving you nuts, I have two words for you:  "Caramel coloring."

Lol, I just got home from calling a show that uses watered down tea as the liquor and coffee. Drives me nuts making it every night.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda