Poll

Which is the better tool?

Gaff Tape
11 (31.4%)
Paper
24 (68.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: Dec 26, 2012, 01:05 am

Author Topic: Community, Round 7: Gaff Tape vs Paper  (Read 8905 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Community, Round 7: Gaff Tape vs Paper
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:05 am »
Ladies and gentlemen! We have a special match for you this Christmas weekend. December Madness will be living up to its title as we enter the quarterfinals. The first two teams of the Elite 8 are the mighty Gaff Tape, heralded in song and legend as the stuff that binds the world together. Opposing, the team that came from seemingly out of nowhere to show us that Paper tigers may be quite dangerous indeed.

Whoever comes out of this match alive will take the Community League title and go on to the semifinals. You've got until noon CST on Tuesday to decide. Game on!

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
Re: Community, Round 7: Gaff Tape vs Paper
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:13 am »
What shall I do. What shall I do. I am paper. Paper I am....and yet....There are ways I can do my job without paper. It is possible. Right? I think so.

SO....because it was so great in the first round. I shall repeat my original poem.

I love my tape.
They call it Gaff
It changed my life.

Please.

Do not laugh.

FIRST VOTE!! Vote early...vote often...um, wait?
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:26 am »
I have been in venues where gaff - or tape of any kind - is completely verboten. I used sidewalk chalk to mark areas. I can make do. But I can't do without paper.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:57 pm »
There are ways I can live without gaff. I could probably live without paper as well, but it would be painful and time consuming to make that happen.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:48 am »
I'm just going to say it: y'all are afraid to embrace paperless stage management. 

I think next year (if there is a next year tournament) paper needs to be clarified. I'd wager a lot of people are encompassing all paper including scripts. It's going to be hard to battle that. If we specify type (printer paper, loose leaf etc) it might make for more interesting match ups.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:30 pm »
I'm just going to say it: y'all are afraid to embrace paperless stage management. 

For me to be a paperless SM is one thing, but sometimes the only way for me to make sure someone has a copy of the rehearsal calendar, is if I put it in their hands. E-mailing and expecting them to print it out (or look it up on their iPhone) doesn't always work. I can't be a truly paperless SM unless EVERYONE around me is FULLY paperless too.

Plus, think of all these other things that are technically also paper. Kleenex and Post-Its come to mind.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2012, 01:15 pm »
I can't be a truly paperless SM unless EVERYONE around me is FULLY paperless too.

Plus, think of all these other things that are technically also paper. Kleenex and Post-Its come to mind.

Exactly. I have a set designer who doesn't have a cell phone or email address. I have a costume designer who refuses to use an online callboard. Maybe in another 10-20 years things will be fully paperless, but not everyone is there yet.
And if we're talking about ALL paper...post-its, scrap paper to jot down a quick note (with a pencil - ahem), the groundplan I use to tape a floor, big things like scripts and scores (some of the works we do are out of print or new works)...there's no way to be completely paperless at this point.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:55 am »
adding to the list...

rolling papers...

as props, of course