Author Topic: Visiting Depaul  (Read 4184 times)

dardanius

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Visiting Depaul
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:14 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I'll be visiting Depaul and North Carolina School of the Arts this week/weekend...any suggestions on extra things to see (other than the tours)?

I'll have limited time in North Carolina, but multiple days in Chicago, so any fun things to do in Chicago or things at Depaul to see would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Darcy
[Darcy]

mca

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Depaul
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:34 pm »
Depending on what day you are going to be at NCSA, I'd check out a performance if one of this term's plays is open. If you're seriously considering NCSA, seeing a production sample wouldn't be a bad idea :) By the looks of the performance calendar, Bus Stop appears to be open beginning on the 14th.

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2008, 01:19 am »
I applied to DePaul and had my interview there last week so PM me if you have any questions about the school or the interview process. I did not have enough time to get a tour of their theatre downtown but you should try to do that (it is not on the official tour, you would have to ask at the theatre school office). The El (Chicago's subway) is about two blocks from the theatre school and takes you downtown in about 20 minutes. If there is a show going on, it might be helpful to see that. As for other things to do in Chiacgo, I can't really help you there.  :-[

Shane

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:20 pm »
In Chicago:

Art Institute
Millenium Park (with the Bean)
Magnificent Mile (for shopping)
Museum of Contemporary Art
Vietnam Vet's Museum

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:45 pm »
The Art Institute is free this month.  The Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium have discount days on Mondays and Tuesdays, and discounted admission from Feb 18 to 22.  Bear in mind that this overlaps with school vacation for the Chicago Public Schools so the museums will be mobbed with little kids. 

Millennium Park is free, but outdoors and it has been VERY cold here lately.  We're talking 14 below zero with wind chill.

The Chicago Auto Show is going on at McCormick Place through the 17th.

Mag Mile (Michigan Avenue south of Oak St.) is a showcase boulevard for high end shops - the cost for real estate there is extremely high so the companies with stores there tend to go all-out with their decor.  Quite pleasant for window-shopping.

If you're looking for stuff around DePaul, both Victory Gardens and Steppenwolf are within walking distance of the campus.  DePaul is in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, one area south of Lakeview.  Lakeview's got tons of little storefront theatres scattered about and some larger ones as well.

riotous