Author Topic: SM Approach Statement for ACTF  (Read 15386 times)

MacGyver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SM Approach Statement for ACTF
« on: Nov 04, 2006, 10:32 pm »
Does anyone know where to start on an Approach Statement ("A statement of the stage manager's stage management approach. Not to exceed one page.") for ACTF? Approach is such a broad word, I'm not really sure what to include. Any advice?

Thanks in advance  :)

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: SM Approach Statement for ACTF
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006, 10:09 am »
I have no idea how to answer your question as I have never heard of such a thing, but I was wondering what  ACTF stands for?
ChaCha

lydiaelaine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SELU
  • Current Gig: 3rd Annual Hammond Horror Festival: 24 Hour Play Festival
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2006, 01:42 pm »
I'm in the same predicament. I was going to make a post about it today actually... hopefully someone knows!  :-[
Stage manager: Totally responsible for everything.

MacGyver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2006, 03:55 pm »
ACTF is the American College Theatre Festival...

Hoping someone with experience can point us in the right direction. :)

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2006, 03:58 pm »
They way I interpreted the meaning is basically: How do you stage manage? How do you go about it? What is your motto, and what makes you a good stage manager?

Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate.
Sean

MacGyver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:03 pm »
It makes sense... I guess the hard part is not making it too generic. There are tons of things that *everyone* does as SM, I suppose it's a writing challenge in that way...

So, I should put an overall "motto"/goal and then give examples of specific things I do or ways I handle things?

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2006, 07:36 am »
In one page they certainly dont want just a list of duties. Sounds like its a more philosophical thing - do you view stage management as a craft, as an art, as a creative role, as the coordinator of things technical? Are you the integrator or the arranger? Do you plan, or react, or both? What are the key qualities that you bring to the role and how do you see the role relating to the project as a whole... and what smccain said!

Actually I think this would be kinda hard but fun to write, and a good exersize in re-examining what it is you are choosing to spend much of your energy on. I dont suppose there is any 'one true way' to write /format it - much as there is no one true way BE a stage manager.

Good luck with it.
ChaCha

MacGyver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:09 am »
Thanks, and keep any other viewpoints on this coming.  :D

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2006, 12:11 pm »
Just make the margins really big and use a large font.  Always works!

But seriously folks ...

Definitely sounds like a philosophical approach is what they want.  For instance, mine is basically this:

1.  Provide an environment in which actors (and even director) feel safe and taken care of so they can be free to be creative.  This might mean rehearsal coffee, sweeping the floor before people roll around on it, or even taking out the trash when it gets full.
2.  Does it serve the production?  This is the golden rule by which to measure everything.
3.  Assigning blame is not helpful.  Solve the problem and move on.  I even take the blame for things that are not my fault if it will shut people up so we can fix the problem.
4.  Plan ahead and be aware of tech needs and problems ahead of time and get them taken care of ahead of time so that come tech week we are not stuck dealing with issues that could have been avoided.  Tech should be for rehearsing tech.  The quicker the better.
5.  That's all I can think of right now.
"This time for sure."

fivehundred_sm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:40 am »
Hey...I just ran across this post after I answered the same type of question in another section...but basically what they are looking for is an outline of the process from a sm point of view....what you learned, how you grew, and what you need to continue to work on....what were the challenges and what were the rewards from the unique process....
They are difficult to write...but very useful once they are completed....I have found it doesnt hold a ton of weight in the competition but more or less something for someone to glance at to gain an idea of who you are without you being there to present your book...it also demonstrates your ability to organize thoughts....
i would love to help more with ACTF questions!! keep em coming!!

cassandramatt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM Spring Awakening at University of Southern Indiana
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:48 pm »
Just ran across this after searching through piles of statement posts. If any of you happen to have further opinions, I'd appreciate answers. I am looking to write my statement of the artist/approach statement/stage managers philosophy/declaration of sanity.
Midsummer Night's Dream

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:53 pm »
I might be wrong, but I get the feeling everyone here has numerous thoughts about being a stage manager, but aren't sure what they all are, or how to collect all of them- basically, letting the task of writing it and sounding professional overwhelm you (if this is not you, disregard). Before I started doing stage management, I was a creative writing major, and I specialized in creative non-fiction. So my advice to ya'll would be get a big ol' sheet of paper and do a freewrite or brainstorming template before you start worrying about the statement. You can do a standard freewrite where you just start writing and let yourself bounce off the idea of stage management- the trick is, set a timer and don't stop writing until it goes off. I would normally do 15 minutes or so. Do not let yourself pause because that's when you're censoring your thoughts, and something really goofy may be great, or lead you to something great (sometimes half of mine are like "WHAT AM I DOING BLAAAAHHHHHHH"). I also like brainstorming bubbles like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/writinghood/2008/03/09/123497_0.jpg
Then go away for a bit, have a snack or whatever, then come back and read it. What's compelling? What really clicks with you? Essentially, rip it apart to find the good bits, and then re-write those to make them pretty and fit together. Boom. You have wrote a thing.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015, 08:55 pm by SMMeade »