Author Topic: Question about DePaul  (Read 4739 times)

razzle-dazzled

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Question about DePaul
« on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:39 pm »
Hullo, all,

I'm a junior in HS (but a senior in seven days, not that I'm counting or anything...) and have known since my frosh year I've wanted to stage manage professionally. Currently my top schools are SUNY Purchase and Mason Gross, but a good friend of mine suggested looking into DePaul. From what I've heard/read/seen, it looks like a good school. I've read the threads about the school from you guys, and it sounds like an interesting program. I checked the website though, and realized it was predominately a Catholic school.

My question for those that go there is - do you have to take religion classes? It said on the site it was in the curriculum but it was incredibly, incredibly vague. I'm not Catholic in any way, shape, or form (I'm not knocking it, just saying it's not for me), and have no desire to take classes about it. Give me philosophy or theology any day of the week, but I find it unnecessary to pay for credits in classes I will never use. Any of you current students or alumni have an answer for me?

Thanks in advance!
-Kady
Eternity: The time that passes between a dropped cue and the next line.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Question about DePaul
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2008, 07:01 am »
http://las.depaul.edu/lsp/public_html/overview/rd_index.htm

looks like you don't have to take classes in catholicism, specifically, but you may need to take some kind of core courses in religion/theology.  I wouldn't just brush these off as completely non-relevant to your major -- these core classes are part of the reason for attending a liberal arts university as opposed to a conservatory.  DePaul is a pretty liberal place in a pretty liberal town, and they're not going to try to indoctrinate you.  I went to a christian liberal arts college and had to take two religion classes -- I loved them! 

Your best bet would be to check with the admissions department and get a definite answer. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

razzle-dazzled

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2008, 02:19 pm »
Thanks, BalletPSM. I'll have to check them out this summer.
Eternity: The time that passes between a dropped cue and the next line.

javnine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2008, 05:57 pm »
I hope I'm not too late to answer this.

I went to DePaul.  You do have to take 1 religion course, so I took Hinduism.  There is nothing overtly Catholic about the university except for the church on campus (easy to walk past and ignore).  Well, if you read the DePaul literature they talk about how the Vincentian order is important to the mission, blah, blah, blah, but you don't encounter it in The Theatre School at all.  It's never mentioned; you're never expected to attend mass...  You don't even get Easter off if a show is in performances.

As far as the program, it's trial by fire, conservatory style.  You stage manage for 4 years.  If you want to do other crews (lights, sound, etc.) you have to seek it out.  You do have to take tech/design classes, but you can choose what they are after 1st year.  The only downside is business, acting & directing classes are not required, but you can fit them in if you want.  I managed to take pretty much any class I wanted. 

Because it's a BFA program, you do have to take general ed requirements, hence the religion course.  I think it's also 1 science, 1 math, 1 history, 2 english, and something else.

riotous