Author Topic: MFA vs MA  (Read 5360 times)

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
MFA vs MA
« on: Apr 26, 2011, 10:19 am »
Quick question--- My partner is looking at grad schools.  He's considering a program based in London where he would earn an MA in Musical Theatre Producing.  He's also looking at MFA programs here in the states in either Directing or Theatre Management.  Our question is this-- how important is the "F"?   I'm looking at job postings for teaching at various colleges and most of them say they want someone with an "MFA"-- but would they accept a candidate with an "MA"? 

cserendipity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Prime Stage Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: MFA vs MA
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:06 am »
Typically, you need a terminal degree to teach at a university.  An MFA is terminal, an MA is not.  With an MA, your partner will most likely need to continue on and get a PHD.  I'm not sure if all universities work this way, but I'm pretty sure most of them do.
If Plan A didn't work... the alphabet has 25 more letters.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:17 am »
Usually it implies that if you are getting a MA then you're on your way to getting a doctorate.

At one point I was looking to get a MA. I did a little research and I found that MA's were usually for "Theatre Arts" and not specific to what I wanted. This was my experience. Maybe it's more specific for directing.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:48 pm »
Ditto to all the replies above. MA usually indicates a further track of education; an MFA shows you are ready to teach or work at a higher level.  Wayne State University has a pretty good Theatre Management program.

drewski91

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:53 pm »
Someone with an MA is certainly eligible to teach at a university... as an instructor or lecturer. They can also serve as a staff member (e.g., as the Production Manager for the department). However, they are not eligiblefor tenure track positions. Which means they won't get paid as much as an Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor, and they won't have the job security of a tenure position.

Outside of the academic world, it's not as strict of course. I wouldn't imagine that not having the "F" would disqualify him from much, but having it might put him one step ahead.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:59 pm »
There is no "black and white", the right person with a MA could be petitioned in . . . versus someone with a MFA . . . but, if often, there is a search for someone with a MFA, and if you only have MA . . . then you will have a hard "sell" to get considered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous