Author Topic: looking for a school  (Read 7297 times)

Kangaroojus

• Tourist
    • View Profile
looking for a school
« on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:12 pm »
Hey guys, whats up? Im a high school junior in Sep. and I've been searching for colleges, mostly in the west coast and the midwest. the list below is what i have so far, so please (pleasepleaseplease) feel free to suggest, remove and/or give your personal opinions about the schools. THANK YOU!

American U
Baylor U
Bennington C
Boston U
Carnegie Mellon U
DePaul U
Elon U
Emerson C
Fordham U
Gettysburg C
Hofstra U
Lindenwood U
North Car Sch Arts
Ohio SU Columbus
Penn State U Park
Salem SC
Savannah C Art/Des
SUNY Binghamton
SUNY New Paltz
SUNY Purchase
U Arts
Wagner C
Washington U St. L.
Webster U
Western Michigan U

If it help you to answer, I want to go in for SM but i'd like to learn about other aspects of theater as well, so i'd like a college that lets me dabble around a bit - love doing musicals, have a soft spot for dance, like opera, cool with plays, and i want as much hands-on experience as possible
thanks, everyone who posts!!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2008, 11:11 pm by Kangaroojus »

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a school
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2008, 02:42 pm »
You can PM me with any questions about SUNY Purchase. :)

Courtney
-C-

OfficerKrupke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2008, 06:52 pm »
I have heard very good things about the theatre program at Elon. One of the new Spring Awakening castmembers is from Elon. (A male, I forget whom exactly.) Is this specifically for Stage Management? Are you looking for hands-on experience or lots of shadowing? Even what type of theatre (Straight Play/ Musical) you enjoy more could help some guide you. Oftentimes here, the more you give, the more you get.

HollywoodH

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2008, 04:13 pm »
To add to your list:
UCSD
UC Irvine
UMKC

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2008, 01:24 am »
I'm a freshman Stage Management major at Webster, and am LOVING it so far.  Not only am I doing stage management for shows, but am also getting lots of experience in the other elements as well, through classes and being on various crews.  The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is on the campus, and I'm getting to work with them also.  Opera Theatre of Saint Louis is on the campus as well, and I know some of the students have work with them over the summers.  Feel free to message me with questions about anything else you want to know!

sm_amanda

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2008, 09:11 pm »
I am a second year SM major at UNCSA and I am loving it! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

G-O gr24

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PM Fellow at Berkeley Repertory Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:06 am »
I'm at SUNY New Paltz if you have any questions!

JenniferS.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Interning at the Finborough Theatre in London
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:52 pm »
I'm a freshman at Ithaca College, their BA Drama major is great for people who want to stage manage but also want to explore other areas of theatre...PM if you have any questions!

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:16 pm »
I recently graduated from Ithaca College with a BA in Drama and a focus in Stage Management. Like JenniferS said, the BA gives you a lot of latitude within the department to do many different things (act, direct, write plays, stage manage, etc.) as well as allowing you to focus on one area.
Within that area of focus, there are also many different opportunities. In my four years, I ASM'd and SM'd mainstage shows, student directed shows, shows off-campus, shows that were performed out doors and moved around campus as well as a show in Spanish. So, as you can see, if you're willing to put yourself out there you can really get a variety of experience for your educational dollar.
I did nothing but SM for my four years, but I also know a lot of BA Drama majors who directed, acted and wrote as well.  It all depends on what you want to do there.
If you would like a graduate's perspective as well as a freshman's (what could be better than looking back AND looking forward?) feel free to PM me as well.

Britney
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2008, 09:20 pm by Britney »

Idleuphoria

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:34 pm »
I am a sophomore at Webster in the SM program. I love it, we spend our days learning about all different types of tech theatre, and our evenings doing production work as ASMs and SMs. Its definitely a well-rounded technical theatre education, also a very intense program. Not something for someone who isn't committed to theatre.