Author Topic: Masters Degree in Austraila  (Read 4441 times)

Dana_SM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Masters Degree in Austraila
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:13 pm »
Hello,

I am looking into getting a Masters Degree in Stage Management and/or Arts/Entertainment Management and I want to do it in Australia.

Any information on programs or schools would be much appreciated.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Masters Degree in Austraila
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:26 am »
We don't really have the same academic pathways as you do in the US for Stage Management and I am not familiar with any MA courses in the subject but if you want to do it in stage management then I'd suggest looking at The West Australian Academy of Performing Arts ( part of Edith Cowan University) here in Perth, the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) part of Melbourne University or the National Institute of Performing Art (NIDA) which is a federally funded place in Sydney. these are teh top three training schools for SMt so i assume they would be the best places for an MA. If you want to to arts management then the field widens a little - look at Adelaide perhaps.
have to go but that might get you started.
ChaCha

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:28 am »
NIDA and WAAPA probably have the best reputation for the technical aspects of our trade. VCA is seen more as an artists school which pays basic lip service to technical subjects. If you want to perfect your dance, your music or your acting, VCA ranks right up there. If you want to perfect calling shows, running crews, scheduling calls and running production meetings, probably not your place.

bradthommo1

• New to Town
  • I don't read the script, the script reads me
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AC Arts
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager Macbeth by Foul Play
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:13 am »
I am Currently doing an Advanced Diploma of Stage Management at AC Arts in Adelaide.
The Course is fairly good, it is taught by a former SM who used to travel Australia and Studied at Nida.

As for a Masters Degree, I don't think there is such a thing. Nida offer a BA in Performing Arts (production). Both WAAPA and AC Arts offer Advanced diplomas in Stage Management, because that is the Nationally recognised Qualification.

Also it has been my experience that the actual Qualification you get doesn't mean anything in the industry. It all comes down to your work ethic and if the industry heads (production managers etc) think that you are good at your job. It really is a 'Who you know' Industry.
They all talk to each other, and quite often that it how you are hired.
Cheers
Bradthommo1