Author Topic: Did/Do you attend Rutgers?  (Read 8193 times)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Did/Do you attend Rutgers?
« on: Oct 09, 2007, 07:21 pm »
Hello All--

I'm planning on applying for Rutger's MFA program in Stage Management for next fall and was just wondering if anyone has or is currently attending the program and could offer some advice, or insider info about the program/campus/college as a whole. Everything seems great online and on paper, but just wondering what students actually thought.

My reasons for choosing to apply there is that I've heard great things in the past, and their proximity to NYC is fantastic. I'll also be applying to NYU, but would almost prefer to be outside of manhattan. Any information is much appreciated!

--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Did/Do you attend Rutgers?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2007, 02:23 am »
Check out SUNY Purchase. Its outside of Manhatten but only a 30min train ride and all of our staff are NYC working broadway professionals.

Also! My director at Purchase currently works at Rutgers and he loves the SMs hes had there.
-C-

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:49 am »
Does Purchase offer an MFA? I'm specifically looking for that sort of course load, something as much based in liberal arts academics as production.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:07 am »
I have a friend that graduated from Rutgers a few years ago and said a lot of great things about the program.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:24 pm »
Does Purchase offer an MFA? I'm specifically looking for that sort of course load, something as much based in liberal arts academics as production.

They do but not in Stage Management. Based on your last post, Purchase probably wouldn't be for you. The production is more important for the SMs are purchase than the classes. Check out Yale for a great MFA SM program.
-C-

smshorty34

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:34 pm »
I attended Rutgers as a BFA.  It was a great program and I feel that I am ahead of the game in so many ways than others who graduated from other colleges.  If you do choose to go to Mason Gross/Rutgers get ready to work!  You are always working on a show, PSMing a theatre, or some other production tasks.   They make stage managing hard work and don't try to candy coat it.   The contacts you make are fantastic also.  I highly recommend it.

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2007, 06:17 pm »
I'm at Rutgers right now as a MFA 1 Stage Manager. 

I really am glad that I decided to come to Rutgers, it has a very thorough program and is quite demanding.  Email me off list if you have any questions: theatreannie at gmail.com

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:18 pm »
I posted elsewhere that I taught there and helped shape the progam a little... what I know is you work there; you do not sit on your butt while some self important dweeb or dweebette waxes on about the real world of stage management when they themselves have never been there. The staff there is very professional, the productions you get to stage manage are on a medium LORT size level, and it is about the work, not philosophies... you get to be hands on very quickly, from running crew to asm to sm....

TAK

sm2b

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:53 pm »
Do BFA's work as well or is most of the hands on work given to MFA's. I'm applying for the BFA and I really want to get as much hands on experience as possible. Thanks!

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:29 pm »
BFA's take class and work alongside the MFAs, often having their own shows by Junior year and definitely senior year, and they assist and run props and costumes, etc etc.....

sm2b

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:41 pm »
Thank you so much for the information!

riotous