Author Topic: undergrad programs  (Read 6361 times)

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
undergrad programs
« on: Apr 19, 2006, 05:58 pm »
I am a finishing my first year at Western Washington University  which has an unbelievably amazing theatre department. I love the atmosphere and the small college town (city) of Bellingham with nature and proximity to canada.  But when I go home I get home sick for the hustle and bustle of the city, when I go to San Francisco at night.  

I am thinking of transfering in the middle of second year or at the end. I would like somewhere, where I can work in a city theatre as well as classes.  Looking at passed post I see Boston University, Pace University any others. IF anyone has any other advice let me know.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
undergrad programs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2006, 06:43 pm »
I'd be happy to PM/email/IM about UCLA. It is smack in the middle of the city, but, like all programs, is less than perfect.

email: megfriedman@yahoo.com
IM: megf86

megf

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
undergrad programs
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 pm »
Although Wilmington, NC is not as big as cities like San Francisco, I think you could get the best of both worlds here.  There are over a dozen companies in downtown Wilmington to work with, as well as academia.  We are also getting a brand new $32 theatre building this fall, and are going to start repertory and a variety of other things.  We will have the best facilities in the state of North Carolina, even surpassing UNC Chapel Hill and Playmaker's Repertory.  If you are interested in somewhere like UNCW, let me know and I'll give you all of the information you need.  It's also nice because if you want to Stage Manage, you can have your fill.  I'm virtually the only one in the department..  It's not a huge university but definitely has a lot to offer.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

sm88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://southstage.org
undergrad programs
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 07:40 pm »
I'm actually a senior in HS this year, and recently decided upon Brandeis University (after being accepted at BU as well). The difference being that Brandeis is Liberal Arts style and BU offers Conservatory training. For me having the strong liberal arts basis on top of a top notch theater program was the catch for Brandeis.l For the Brandeis stage management program, they have undergraduates the all of the stage management for the Brandeis Theatre Company, which is their resident theatre company comprised of actors and designers that are getting their masters at Brandeis, as well as faculty and professional directors, and they really emphasize that all stage management students gain a lot of experience in undergrad. They also have a ton of student theatre groups on campus. I would say check out Brandeis. There are also some current Brandeis stage managers on this site, and hopefully they'll see this topic. Good luck!

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Brandeis
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2006, 01:27 am »
WOOHOO!!!
Nice to have met you in Jen's office a week or two ago and lovely to see your decision. :-) I hope you have a great time here, and feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions about anything.
Brandeis is a great place to stage manage and a great place to study theater... you can also double major pretty easily if you so desire (or even triple!)
The teachers they have in the department are pretty amazing and everyone is very supportive of your training as a stage manager. (I think the undergrad SMs get the best experience of our department, MFA designers and actors and undergrads included).
I am graduating from Brandeis in a little less than a month, and I feel prepared to enter the real world. I think the program has made me a well-educated, well-rounded person, and has given me a great start on a career in stage management.
I will add, however, that if one is looking to be in a city, this isn't it. It is a suburban campus, though Boston is easily accessible.
If anyone has any questions about the program or anything, I am happy to answer them.

sm88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://southstage.org
undergrad programs
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006, 12:34 pm »
It was great meeting you too! Have fun with the rest of the year. I'm going to  hopefully head over to Brandeis to see Bacchae next weekend.

riotous