Author Topic: Music Breakdown  (Read 18964 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Music Breakdown
« on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:31 pm »
Here's a form I use when doing a musical, so that when someone needs to know where to pick up for a certain song, I can give the song number (used by orchestra), song title, script page (director), score page (music director), vocal book page (actor/performer), and who is in it (me!).  This particular show had 5 people, so I was able to give them each a column.  For a full-size musical, I would simply have one column for actors involved and then list, for example "Laurey and Ensemble Girls" (and if needed, the last names of said ensemble girls).

Erin

april1110

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Music Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:37 am »
hey thanks for your version of that type of form i'm taking a stage management class and we hadn't discussed a form like this one ~

Camille2684

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:19 am »
I, too, had not heard of this form before. I am sure people have done something similar in different ways but as for an organized form such as this, I think that is nice and seems very useful. Has it helped you quite a bit in musical situations and is it just for your reference or do you make copies of it for others like your director and cast members and such?

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:32 pm »
Has it helped you quite a bit in musical situations and is it just for your reference or do you make copies of it for others like your director and cast members and such?

I think I've only handed it out to directing/choregrapher/music director/stage mgmt staff in the past....though I may have also posted on the wall in the rehearsal hall.  It's most useful to stage management, because whenever anyone wants to switch to a different music number I was the one being asked (or at least trying to find an answer efficiently even if someone didn't know they were asking the question) what that meant for various people.  My music director was particularly pleased, especially since many people can't tell you the music number itself (used by the orchestra) very often.

Erin

roscoe76

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:03 am »
extremely handy for opera/orchestra/sitz-probe as well, especially when the singers aren't all using the same score.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:43 pm »
Erin...thanks for this form. I'm doing a musical this summer and I haven't done a musical in a loooooooooong time. We've got 40 kids to organize and we're working in 4 rooms. I think this form will be a great tool for our team to be able to keep track of everyone.