Author Topic: Line Notes (for going "off book")  (Read 92652 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Line Notes (for going "off book")
« on: Jun 16, 2006, 10:33 pm »
Sample line notes form for distribution after runthroughs,  in word format.

Libby

Re: Line Notes (for going "off book")
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:03 pm »
This one makes it so you just give the actor 1 piece of paper (hopefully!!)

Edit: Thanks! Karma +1 for you! -PSMK
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2006, 08:04 pm by PSMKay »

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:04 pm »
Here is another variation that I got from a SM I worked with a couple of years ago.  I usually cut the pages in half to try and save on paper.  Though depending on the actor, I sometimes end up handing out more than one page of notes anyway.

I really like this form because it's quick. All you have to do is jot down the part of the the line they messed up and circle what exactly they did wrong underneath.

This document is in Word format.

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 12:07 am »
Yet another Line Notes form but this is NOT a one page method. 
When doing line notes AND being on book for a run thru I would inevitably fall into the trap: as I would stop to write a line note, someone would call for line and I wouldn't be able to respond quickly enough. So this is what I use...

Basically before rehearsal I cut the sheets at the divider lines which creates mini bookmarks of sorts.  As I'm going along, if there is an error, I write the actor's initials on it, check what was done wrong (eg. paraphrased), use my shorthand to make a note in my script and leave the slip in my script where the error took place.  Then, after the run thru while the director is giving acting notes, I go back thru and fill out the forms. 

This works well for me with big casts (so I'm not shuffling thru sheets to find the right character), helps make them easier to read (my handwriting is clearer), and I'm able to focus on other things during the run (being onbook, tracking props, etc).

The downside is that actors can more readily see how many mistakes each other are making when they look at each others' stacks...  However, I've also seen some more competitive actors use that as a bit of motivation to learn their dang lines!

The "mistakes" options are in an order that made sense to me - change it up to what makes sense to you.

An EXCEL file.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2006, 12:23 am »
Well this is the report I use - It is not just a line notes form, but it is the main purpose of it.

Attatched in both PDF and Excel format.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Line Notes Form
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:57 am »
Here is the Word form I use for line notes…I got it from another SM a few years ago and have modified it a bit since then. 

I use a different page for each actor (or each character, if the actor plays two roles), and use the empty box to write down what the actor actually said.   

I find that including "speech starts with" is helpful, especially for actors who don’t have their scripts handy once they’re off book, and remember the lines, but not the page numbers.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2006, 12:25 pm »
This is the newest line notes form I've created.  It's sort of a combination of all the things I liked about forms I've used in the past.  Just enough slots on the page so that the actor's head doesn't spin when they look at it, and the boxes are big enough to get in the info you need.

angelofmusic1781

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2006, 01:38 am »
  So you can see from the attachment that I use excel.  The sample that I sent is from a show that had very short scenes (often no more than a page or two).  In shows with longer scene there is also group for page numbers. 
  I then turn on the auto filter for row 1.  You can find it in the data toolbar under filter menu.  This creates pull down menus on each of my row 1 headings.  Now I think this only works the best in the new version of office (so if you have an older version I don’t know if this file will even open).  What you can then do is click on these pull down menus and you see for example, under actor, all the actors in the show that have notes.  By selecting a name it filters out the other names and you can then print out a sheet for that actor. 
   I don’t always enter these notes directly into the computer (sometimes I do).  Most of the time its just posits until I put them into the computer.  I also don’t pull the post it out until the line is correct!  This reminds me that ive gave the note before.  I started to rename the worksheets within the workbook by date.  Another thing you could do is have one sheet and a date group. 
   There are so many things you can use this for, and by all means I don’t know that this is always the best format or way to go.  In fact I enjoy seeing everyone else’s form and it is always fun to try new forms!  Anyway enjoy.  In case you can't tell, I love microsoft office!

rayeelynn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:06 am »
I know this is simple, but it works really well when you are in a hurry.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:06 pm »
Here's my Lines Notes form.

Typically I hate Excel, but with this, it's easy to just type the notes as you come to them (or have an assistant type as you rehearse) and then you can sort by Page #, then Actor and there you have it!

I always add a few lines inbetween people to make cutting them up easier.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2007, 05:58 pm »
Here is the form I've used recently.  I borrowed the format from another SM.

ajagusiak

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:07 pm »
Well, forms and all are good. But I just did Comedy of Errors and I never had time to be shifting through 20 pieces of paper to look for each actor's page.

Rather than making it my job to make sure they knew what line each actor missed, we kind of put it in their hands. We made a copy of the script and put it into transparent pages. Each night I would follow along with that book and highlight a line missed or fuddled with a dry-erase marker (different color for each night of the week).

At the end of the week I would erase the book and start fresh. In this manner it was up to the actors to take some of their down time between scenes to check the book for their lines. We found it worked really well, after they had checked the book they would erase it so that we were sure they had gotten their notes.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:52 pm »
Well, forms and all are good. But I just did Comedy of Errors and I never had time to be shifting through 20 pieces of paper to look for each actor's page.

Rather than making it my job to make sure they knew what line each actor missed, we kind of put it in their hands. We made a copy of the script and put it into transparent pages. Each night I would follow along with that book and highlight a line missed or fuddled with a dry-erase marker (different color for each night of the week).

At the end of the week I would erase the book and start fresh. In this manner it was up to the actors to take some of their down time between scenes to check the book for their lines. We found it worked really well, after they had checked the book they would erase it so that we were sure they had gotten their notes.

I love this idea!

Was it a tough transition for the actors to get used to seeking out their own notes?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2007, 09:31 pm »
I love this idea!

Me too! Do you double up, as in back-to-back pages of the script, to save on pocket protectors? Doing Lear might make for a pretty thick book, with all that plastic...

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:01 pm »
I love this idea!

Me too! Do you double up, as in back-to-back pages of the script, to save on pocket protectors? Doing Lear might make for a pretty thick book, with all that plastic...

Idea for long plays, use two or three binders and divide by act.  That way more than one person can get notes at a time, even.