Author Topic: Entrances and Exits Tracking  (Read 28749 times)

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Entrances and Exits Tracking
« on: Nov 12, 2007, 03:55 pm »
Here is a version of my entrances and exits tracking.  I make this after I do a grid of character breakdown.  Both help with scheduling rehearsals and creating call sheets.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

Katie ~

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Santa Fe College, Gainesville, FL UCF, Orlando, FL Gainesville Community Playhouse, Gainesville, FL
  • Current Gig: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL BFA Stage Managment Program
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Entrances and Exits Tracking
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2011, 12:02 pm »
Here's my version of a French Scene Breakdown. I like this cause its colorful and it limits the page numbers.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 am »
I've attached a small sample of an entrance/exit plot in an Excel format. As you can see, it's not completed, but I figured I'd show off a couple of the scenes that have a LOT of ent/ex/QC's.

To explain: This set has a total of 17 access points, on 2 different levels, to enter the stage. They have all been assigned numbers (some of them have a direction and number).

There is almost no rhyme or reason to the specific colors chosen. If several actors exit at various points, but then all come together to re-enter as a group, that change and re-entrance is highlighted in the same color for all the actors. Other than that though, it's really just meant to be a quick visual reference. Something that stands out as different from the colors above and below it.

I feel like the actual form explains itself better than me trying to describe it verbally... but feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:09 am »
I am curious to what "props dropped" and "props received" are referring to. I cant seem to put my finger on it.  Does props dropped refer to props they exit with and does props received are props they acquired from that scene?
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:17 pm »
@SMeustace "Props dropped" usually refers to a prop an actor exits with but does not need the next time they enter. "Props received" refers to the prop the actor needs to bring with them the next time they enter. I almost always use "drop" but generally use "pick up" instead of "receive." Personal preference.
Read carefully the breakdown that @leastlikely posted: For example, the actor named Sandy on line 4. You can infer what happens onstage if you think about this information logically. Sandy is playing the character Child and enters the stage from the house with a ball. Sandy then exits the stage at Door #8, drops the ball prop, quick changes into the costume for the Chestnut Vendor character, receives the chestnut prop, and re-enters the stage at Door #6. 
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:46 pm »
FYI I will use hand-off or catch if it involves crew, and strike/set/bring on/take off if the actors does it themselves.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2016, 05:19 pm »
Yeah, this was made a few years ago - if I made it today I would try to format it way less complicatedly, and I'd probably use PU (pick up - if the actor gets it from the prop table themselves) or Drop (actor drops it themselves) or HO (hand off - if a crew member is involved) or Drop. But the bottom line is, it's showing actors entering and exiting, and what they're wearing and carrying when they do it. So you know where stuff starts and where it dies, and if it needs to be tracked during the show.