Author Topic: Your own headset  (Read 4413 times)

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Your own headset
« on: Jul 23, 2010, 08:44 am »
So recently I was thinking about getting my own headset. Apparently a lot of SM's use their own. Working in rep and having to adjust, clean etc. every time I run a show, I began to think about this. I've heard that a 'good' one is upwards of $250 or $300. Does anyone have a clever resource for ordering a headset which is both good and reasonably priced? Thanks!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Your own headset
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2010, 02:54 pm »
Hi Dee4156,

Have you checked out this resource created by Mac Calder?  This is a pretty comprehensive index of headset/comm posts on the site and includes a few posts about headsets as well as a couple of websites from which you can purchase your own headset. 

Also, once you figure out which brand you want, you may check for local dealers of that specific manufacturer.  They may be able to sell to you at a cheaper price than you can find online. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2010, 05:36 pm »
Great link KMC.  Dee, look into Production Intercom for more affordable CC compatible gear.

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:25 pm »
I am personally partial to the Telex PH-88.  Its an older ultra-light, but it still works great.  I seem to remember paying around $150 for it, but that was about 8 years ago.  I have no idea what they cost now.

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2010, 02:55 pm »
I am personally partial to the Telex PH-88.  Its an older ultra-light, but it still works great.  I seem to remember paying around $150 for it, but that was about 8 years ago.  I have no idea what they cost now.

agreed. well worth every penny/

riotous