Author Topic: Wireless Headset  (Read 5649 times)

dru*

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Wireless Headset
« on: Mar 08, 2008, 01:31 am »
I'm going to be producing a low-budget show this summer. One other person and I are going to be co-directing. She'll handle the music, i'm doing everything production, and we're doing the actually artistic direction together. (trust me, this works well in my situation...)

ANYWAY-- We have a nicely equipped venue, with new  WIRED clear-com system. I always HATE having to run 300 XLR's together to have a headset and still be able to run around the theatre during tech. Is there any way to have a wireless headset (or something similar that will work) for CHEAP?

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Wireless Headset
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008, 01:54 pm »
From what I've understood, the cheapest wireless systems are around $1500. And they don't work well.

One option might be to get some walkie talkies with earpieces if you need constant communication with others while not at the tech table or on headset.

Other than that, from what I understand of the wireless headset world, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money to get a system that works well.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2008, 02:01 pm »
If you have wireless simplex two way radios, you can use this-
http://www.beltpack.com/ad913.html
One radio hooks in at the base station, but you can just use a standard two way ear piece and PTT mic on the other radios.

Price-
$325 from Springtree Media
http://springtree.net/catalog/production-intercom-wireless-icom-unterface-ad913-p-2000.html
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008, 02:03 pm by avkid »
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2008, 04:03 pm »
Could borrow or rent one from a nearby theatre?  Sounds like you only need it for the short term, so buying one wouldn't make much sense, and you're not going to find a good cheap wireless system.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2008, 12:18 am »
I recently purchased an HME DX 200.  It is my favorite wireless that i've ever used.  But it ran about 16k.  I would look at renting.  Or if there is a college football arena in your town talk to the athletic director and see if they will let you borrow thiers.  Unlikely but worth a shot. 
Peace,

Chops

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 04:19 pm »
www.eartec.com...exactly what you're looking for.
Wow, that's stupid cheap!
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

riotous