Author Topic: Who supplies spike tape?  (Read 3954 times)

dancrina14

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Dance Innovations- SM- York University The Mystery of Edwin Drood- SM- Vanier College Prod.
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Who supplies spike tape?
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:29 pm »
I was just asked by the director one day before load in if I am totally stocked up on spike tape...

This is a theatre company in its 150somethingth year, with their own dedicated rehearsal hall, shop, offices, etc... who rent a multimillion dollar theatre, one of the largest in Canada, and I am expected to supply spike tape?

Yes, I have a few colors.. for emergency or convenience issues, with me at all times.. but No, i do not have 10 different colors at the ready for your disposal, out of my pocket.. Am I wrong here? Is this one of the duties I didn't really know I had, I thought you were hiring ME, not my spike tape, and my printer/copy machine for scripts for ASMs, and about 20 other things I have been asked to supply, with no reimbursment..

What do you think? Who supplies the tape?

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Who supplies spike tape?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 11:38 pm »
My understanding is that even if you were the one in charge of acquiring the tape, the theatre should refund you. As I see it, the theatre is indeed hiring you and not your tape supply. The supplies you are responsible for are your own - the pad where you take notes, the pens to take them, etc. But if the theatre is using something, the theatre should pay for it.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 11:55 pm »
It's likely the director just wants to ensure it's there, not whether you specifically have provided it. "Do you have spike tape?" can be translated to "Can I cross this off my list of things to worry about?"
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2014, 12:30 am »
I'm thinking along the same lines as KMC.  I'm guessing the director doesn't know or care where the spike tape comes from, just so long as it is there and ready.  Even if I'm assuming that the company is supplying the tape I certainly would have verified before load in that they had enough different colors for my anticipated needs.  What have you been using in rehearsal up until this point?

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2014, 01:29 pm »
My understanding is that even if you were the one in charge of acquiring the tape, the theatre should refund you. As I see it, the theatre is indeed hiring you and not your tape supply. The supplies you are responsible for are your own - the pad where you take notes, the pens to take them, etc. But if the theatre is using something, the theatre should pay for it.

I personally expect them to provide that too (pad ans pens) unless I specifically want like a Lisa Frank notebook and even then I will ask...anyone else with me?
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:42 pm »
in smaller houses we supply our own pads and pens/pencils most of the time - along w other basics - but I expect the house to provide tape and, in fact, dig my heels in on this - since so many seem to think that our extra hours over OUR weekly allotment along w all kinds of supplies are part of the deal.

riotous