Author Topic: Washable Blood  (Read 12988 times)

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Washable Blood
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:33 pm »
Does anyone have a good recipe for blood that will wash out of white clothing?  I have plenty of recipes, but they all leave some sort of a stain.  I'd love to explore all possibilities beore telling the director that it's impossible.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Washable Blood
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:07 pm »
Tweak portions as necessary - getting the right consistency can take a few batches.

1/2 cup flavorless gelatin powder
1-1/2 cup water, or whatever is just a little more than the gelatin recipe suggests
1 tsp caramel food coloring
1 cup darkish red dish soap

Mix it up, microwave for short intervals until it all melts together.

I found, when I was mixing the stuff nightly, that letting the gelatin set overnight made it easier - I could put the rest of the ingredients together while it loosened in the microwave, and then put it all together. This reduced the risk of boiling the blood - and making the soap froth up!

Used this for Harold and Maude, for the scene where Harold stabs himself to get away from Date #3. He wore a white-and-blue striped shirt - and after the laundry was done, we couldn't tell that it had ever seen "blood."

Hope this helps!!

Meg

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 07:30 pm »
As long as the the blood isn't near anyone's mouth or eyes, you can also use any commercial blood (like Ben Nye) and add Tide detergent.  (I don't know why Tide works better than other detergents, but for some reason it does...)  Depending on the fabric, you can adjust the ratio.  1/2 cup per quart works pretty well.

I have used this to get (a lot) of blood out of white linen, and it works well.  If time permits, let the costumes air dry so if there are any left over stains, they are not set in, and you can spot treat them.

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

fivehundred_sm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2007, 01:19 am »
The best blood recipe I have found is...

- 17 cups hot water pour into large pot....slowly heat and whisk in 7 cups of flour (approx 2 lbs.)  and  ½ cup of cocoa powder (making a gravy like substance)...... once all mixed you can increase the heat to medium....do not allow it to boil
- Add four packages of unsweetened black cherry Kool-Aid (DO NOT ADD SUGAR)
- Add 2½  large bottles of red food coloring (2½ oz)
- Add 5 drops of blue food coloring
Mix well....continuously stir so substance doesnt burn to bottom....you know its at the right consistancy when you dip your finger in and it slowly drips down....
Take off heat and continue to stir occasionally until cool...remember it will slightly thicken once cooled....if it gets to thick slowly whisk in warm water... (total time is about an hour) it makes a lot but can be refrigerated and reused if used within 24 hours

This is a FABULOUS blood recipe and looks great under lights..... the Clowns I work with spend 10 minutes playing with it and throwing it at each other and spitting it at each other at during each performance.....
It is edible (as far as putting it in your mouth and spitting it...they claim to swallow a little every night).....it is also washable (make sure you dont use sweetened koolaid, sugar causes it to stain) the Clowns wear white shirts every night and as long as they are cleaned with bleach immediatly following every performance we dont have a problem....
Warning it is very slippery once it is on the deck...so be sure to have anti-slip dust painted into the masonite and that it is cleaned up very well every night.....

smsgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2007, 07:58 pm »
2 parts no-taste red food color (solid gel formula found in icing decoration section of craft store)
1 part Karo light corn syrup
 a drop (and I mean just the slightest amount) blue food color (solid gel formula found in icing decoration section of craft store)

if it is to be eaten or anywhere near the mouth, leave it at that.

If it isn't and you need to get it out of expensive wedding dresses that you can't imagine replacing--

add 1 part SIMPLE GREEN (The green color--no other color works as well and helps with the wash)

sorry for no specific amounts but I usually use two bottles of corn syrup, 2 small containers of red gel food coloring, the tip of a knife for the blue, and the simple green  to smooth out the consistency to the perfect blood. 

The blood is best washed out with---yep, you guessed it-- SIMPLE GREEN.  Best environmentally friendly solution ever. 

Hope it helps

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:26 pm »
I don't have a recipe, but I have worked with the simple green version of blood before and it washed out of white shirts and bed sheets very well. We didn't even have to do anything special, but I think we did throw some bleach in just for good measure.