Author Topic: Vista and Microsoft 2007  (Read 13135 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Vista and Microsoft 2007
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:44 pm »
So I purchased a new PC notebook recently, and it came with the new Windows Vista operating system.  On top of that, I purchased the new Microsoft Office 2007.  Well, between the two new programs its like I have to re-learn how to do the most basic tasks.  If I wanted to re-learn everything, I should have just bit the bullet and bought myself a Mac (no offense to Mac users implied).

I'm embracing the Vista system, since that's what my computer is built for, but I am seriously considering buying new Office 2003 and uninstalling Office 2007.  I often end up sharing my computer with fellow SMs on any given show, and they would have no idea how to do anything. 

Anyone else using these new programs?  Just wondering if I'm alone in my misery...

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Vista and Microsoft 2007
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 09:02 pm »
In my new job as an in-house tech at the Grand Hyatt in Melb. Aus. we get quite a few conferences - Quite a few people come in with power point presentations in Offices OpenXML format (which is a piece of rubbish) - which means the documents are incompatable (and we cannot install the plug in using our current system)

I quickly had to dive head first into Vista and O2k7 to learn the basics (for some reason, working in control (which means we load all the presentations into our system) means that we are also seen as IT tech support when someone does not know how to use their laptops - even though we do not permit them using their own laptops when presenting) - and I am not impressed with it. I am a linux/Apple Mac fan though, so I am slightly biased.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 09:05 pm by Mac Calder »

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 09:04 pm »
I've been using Vista for about 2 months now and love it.  It can get annoying at times (that UAC can be a serious pita for the first week) but there are ways around it.  UAC can be disabled (though I don't recommend it if you aren't an advanced user).

As for Office 2007, I haven't tried it yet.  I hear it's got a lot of great features, especially with Outlook but 2003 still works fine for me and I don't have the money to shell out for it all over again.

Let me know if you come across any problems with Vista.

bdmovies

• New to Town
  • Me after Charlie Brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2007, 06:45 pm »
I will be avoiding any further Microsoft products. My current computer is a Dell, and I use Thunderbird, Firefox and Google for just about everything. In the next couple of months I will be switching over to Apple, I'm just sick and tired of Microsoft, and Vista doesn't make things much better, it's just pretty.
Bobby D.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:11 am »
I will be avoiding any further Microsoft products. My current computer is a Dell, and I use Thunderbird, Firefox and Google for just about everything. In the next couple of months I will be switching over to Apple, I'm just sick and tired of Microsoft, and Vista doesn't make things much better, it's just pretty.

I just switched to a Mac about a month ago.  Thing is, you can't totally get rid of Microsoft these days - at least I can't...had to still get the Office products so I can do Word documents and Excel with others at the theatre.  Funny that those and my AOL instant messenger program (I dumped actual AOL a while ago, still using the free messenger) are about the only programs that ever crash on me...

Erin

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2007, 05:16 pm »
I still have to run Office Programs, but God Bless my Mac.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2007, 10:44 pm »
If you really don't like Microsoft - use Open Office.  It's free and will open any office document as well as edit them.  Works with PC, Mac, and Linux.

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2007, 02:41 pm »
I have enjoyed the Microsoft 2007 for many reasons, and don't like it for others, but as I format it in a way that I like, it's not so bad.  I just have to constantly remind myself to convert the doc so older versions can read it.  There are other things that I don't like about Vista, but I'm not getting into it

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2007, 12:03 am »
Funny that those and my AOL instant messenger program (I dumped actual AOL a while ago, still using the free messenger) are about the only programs that ever crash on me...
You don't need the AIM software to IM on OSX, iChat is compatible with your AIM screen name.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2007, 03:55 am »
Funny that those and my AOL instant messenger program (I dumped actual AOL a while ago, still using the free messenger) are about the only programs that ever crash on me...
You don't need the AIM software to IM on OSX, iChat is compatible with your AIM screen name.
And I use Trillian to keep track of my AIM, Yahoo, and MSN IM chats.  One program for 3 accounts makes it much easier.  I don't deal with the real programs anymore and Trillian is Freeware which makes it very nice.

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2007, 06:12 am »
Does anyone have Photoshop Elements and Vista together?  I have Photoshop on my old laptop and my desktop, and I have no downloads left on it.  During slow shows especially, I like getting fancy with my pre-set pictures and headers.  I didn't want to buy a software program on the laptop that costs as much as the laptop, so I went for downloading the elements ($79) version.  I can't download it without downloading the update for Vista, and I can't download the update without having the program installed on the computer.  So, it's been a never ending cycle of error messages.  Any thoughts?

I have done one show with Vista, and it's ok.  I've started getting used to it.  I just miss my photoshop  :( The best thing about it was the cost of he laptops the week it came out.  $700 out of pocket including two years of accidental insurance, I couldn't turn it down.  Especially not after my last "coffee incident".

Scaenicus

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2007, 10:16 pm »
I "made the switch" from my family PC to a godly MacBook Pro.  It is everything I could hope for and more in a computer, especially with the added bonus of Office Mac -- if only because the majority of this country's inhabitants are PC users.  Best thing is, it was free, because my drama group bought a few multiple-download packages.  The drama classroom is completely Apple, from our Macs to AirPort to the wireless printers.  It's heaven in high school.

Anyway, I am supremely disappointed with Vista.  Most of the highlights of the system are either copied from or found in Mac OS (gadgets = widgets), and with the ease of Office Mac, I see no reason to use Vista (or PCs, for that matter) at all.  No viruses, either, which is a huge bonus.

As for the new version of Office, drama's still on the 2003 version and everyone is happy with it.  I'd say, take the plunge into Apple the next time you re-evaluate your computer situation.
ASM - Scapino!, winter 2006/7
Spot Op - Evita, spring 2007
SM - Crawling Arnold, spring 2007
Sound Board Op - Romeo & Juliet, fall 2007
SM - The Beggar's Opera, winter 2007/8
SM - Wonderful World, spring 2008
SM - Macbeth, fall 2008
SM - Candide, 2

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2007, 02:42 pm »
with the ease of Office Mac, I see no reason to use Vista (or PCs, for that matter) at all.  No viruses, either, which is a huge bonus.
Unfortunately there are now a few viruses that Macs are vulnerable to.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2007, 03:56 pm »
Speaking of viruses.  The antivirus that came with the computer is about to expire today, so I brought out my handy 2007 antivirus disc, and I guess it doesn't work with Vista.  They don't have an update.  This Vista thing is coming out pretty expensive.

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2007, 09:42 pm »
With the whole Vista and Office '07 thing, its a bit of a case of Cursed if you do, Cursed if you don't.

For those who are happy to stick with XP and previous Office versions, we know it all works, and we know how to use it - But eventually, these people will be left behind.

On the other hand, those of us who upgrade are presented with software that doesn't work exactly as expected, and takes a bit of getting used to. I for one find Office '07 a bit of a learning curve, especially that ribbon thing up the top.  I spend a little bit longer looking for something than I do using the '03 version - but once I find it in the new version, i'm going "Yeah, that makes sense... it's much better to put that feature there" and now i'm getting the hang of it.

And for those people who say *** microsfoft... *** no testing... grumble grumble gripe moan I say this:
It's basically impossible for a Software Developer to test their product with every single combination of hardware and software on the market. If they did so, we'd be looking at decades between new software releases, at which point there would be new hardware available to test and so on and so forth.  It would be a never-ending cycle of program testing and redevelopment, and nothing would ever get done.

So!  I say get out there, try the new stuff, see if you like it.

If you don't, don't use it - but you'll have to upgrade sometime.
Cheers,
Jem.