Author Topic: Video Assist Camera again  (Read 4918 times)

jwspencer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Video Assist Camera again
« on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:12 am »
Hi, I've been picked to purchase a camera for our university theater. To be used for both theatrical productions and dance. I pretty much think that what we need is a security camera that has day/night mode with a built in IR source. Is this the right direction and what are specific models of cameras that work. I'm the sound designer and tech guy. I know what specifically works for sound but video is a new animal to me.

Thanks, Jim

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Video Assist Camera again
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2009, 12:00 pm »
I think IR mode doesn't work at long distances, like over 20 feet or so. Then again, I could be completely wrong, it's been a while since I used IR mode. Plus my video camera is ancient, so hopefully technology has improved since then.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2009, 04:35 pm »
I'd go with a day/night PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) IP dome camera.  IP will allow you to tap into the camera from a network and external sources if configured to do so, which is an added benefit when compared with an analog camera (IP is the new standard).  Also, while the University is allocating money you may be wise to push for two additional units - one stage left and one stage right, huge benefit when the curtain is closed and gives the operator multiple viewing angles.  For the stage left/right cameras you could go with a day/night fixed dome IP camera.  This will save you some money if you omit the PTZ feature for these two cameras

There are two manufacturers I'd recommend, Axis and Grandeye.  There are additional good quality manufacturers but these are the two with which I'm most familiar.  There are a lot of generic cameras out there that I'd steer clear of.  Go with the big boys.  You'll pay a bit more, but as always you get what you pay for.  They offer a high quality product that they support.  You won't find that with a lot of the random obscure manufacturers you'd see in a tech catalog.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009, 04:36 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2009, 04:46 pm »
And now that I think more about it, you may want to check with the University's IT and Police.  Surely there are hundreds of cameras around campus.  The IT folks should (if they're not being stubborn IT folks) be able to help you in the setup and integration of the camera, and the University may well have deals with certain manufacturers or distributors that could help you save some money.

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous