Author Topic: Useful applications for Blackberry  (Read 17515 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Useful applications for Blackberry
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:24 am »
We've got a good thread on smartphone debate, and a great thread on applications for the iPhone.  What we don't have, though, is a Blackberry application thread. 

So let's hear it, what are your favorite Blackberry applications that make your Stage Managing life easier?

For me:
-Google maps.  I have a Curve 8130 with GPS, so I can get fairly accurate positioning as to where I am, and with google maps I can see what traffic is like around major cities.  Really handy if you drive a lot, or if you know where your actors are coming from if you have folks driving to the theatre.  The best part about google maps is it's free (unlike the map application that comes preloaded on blackberry)
-Facebook.  Just for fun  :)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Useful applications for Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:01 pm »
"Chronograph"

Simple stopwatch that lets you set warnings-I set mine for 15 minutes, with 10 and 5 minute warnings.  All on vibrate, which is particularily usefull for a small show where I am SM from the deck and running around a lot.

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2009, 02:25 am »
Where did you get the "chronograph" application?

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:04 am »
http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-reviews/88561-review-free-chronograph-timer-blackberry-berryreview.html

Not sure if this is where I got it from orriginally.  I think I may have downloaded it on the fly on the BB, but this looks like the same program.

hthomas7

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Virginia Tech
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:00 pm »
I use a Blackberry curve as well.
I would suggest The Weather Channel app. It's great not only for knowing how many layers to put on before you walk outside in the morning, but also if there are going to be any potential delays or traffic problems that you might need to be aware of. It's free and can be downloaded from their main website.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:22 pm »
So I just stumbled across this app called "Trapster".  It is available for Blackberry, Android, iPhone, and even some automobile GPS units.  It uses your phone's GPS feature to alert you of upcoming speed traps, photo enforced stop light cameras, etc...

REALLY happy to have found this since those cameras are popping up everywhere in Miami lately.

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:29 pm »
Now if they'd only come up with one that lets you track your absent actors by GPS, we'd be all set!

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:36 am »
But that would involve staple guns and microchips...
Mwaw ha ha ha....
Ordo ab chao

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:26 am »
Now if they'd only come up with one that lets you track your absent actors by GPS, we'd be all set!

That's a bit too 1984 for my tastes.

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:51 am »
So I just stumbled across this app called "Trapster".  It is available for Blackberry, Android, iPhone, and even some automobile GPS units.  It uses your phone's GPS feature to alert you of upcoming speed traps, photo enforced stop light cameras, etc...

REALLY happy to have found this since those cameras are popping up everywhere in Miami lately.
Be careful with that app, it uses a tonne of data!

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:13 am »

Be careful with that app, it uses a tonne of data!

Actually I noticed that today because it drained my battery like nothing I have ever seen.  I have a BB Bold 9700 and my battery is usually good for 3 days on a charge, it was half gone by noon today after a full charge last night.  I have unlimited data anywhere in the world so I am not concerned about that, but definitely a good observation and you are absolutely correct.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:43 pm »
I use a Blackberry Curve 8530. I have some of the above apps too.

The one that helps me out the most is Flightview, which allows me track actor flights. I would be lost without it, since I usually pick them up. It's pretty accurate.

And for tracking actors, I've seen this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Little+Buddy+Child+Tracker+(Blue)/9540703.p?id=1218123143064&skuId=9540703) in stores and thought specifically for using it for actors, which made me laugh.

riotous