Author Topic: Useful Android Tablet Apps  (Read 3307 times)

jrbucci

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
  • Affiliations: Point Park University
  • Current Gig: BFA in Stage Management @ Point Park University & Production Manager: Hula Lou Theatre Project
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Useful Android Tablet Apps
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:38 pm »
I'm one of those people who has an iPhone and wanted to get an android tablet to be different. Let me tell you, there are some really great things (like having a built in file browser so you can actually see the files on your device) but far less apps exist that are made specifically for theatre. There is nothing like Rehearsal 2.

AutoCad WS
Google Drive & Dropbox
Custom Soundboard (Rehearsal sfx)
File Manager
TeamViewer (To remotely control your home computer in a pinch)
Chrome (lets you sync and even pull tabs from you iOS, Mac, PC, and Andriod devices to others that are on the same account)
iDisplay (lets you use your tablet as a second monitor when working on the go)
Task List (Great app that lets you have multiple checklists. Very powerful.)
FreeNote (supports typing, drawing, and handwriting all in one note field. Amazing app!)
Smart Office 2 (the best office suite for android I have found)
File2PDF & Word To PDF (Great ways to convert a file especially if you have a copier that you can print PDFs from a flash drive on)
SBMX (Sketchbook Mobile from Autodesk is a great drawing app.)
Skype & Oovoo (Great alt to FaceTime, cross-platform)
Amazon Kindle (one of the best for viewing a script because it sees the pdf as a book allowing you to easily turn the pages. I love it when being on book for a new work that is changing regularly.)

Many of these are on both iOS and Android devices but I thought I could provide a little insight from the other side.

Moderator note: this was originally posted in "Useful iPad Apps", however warrants its own topic and has been split.  -kmc307
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:42 pm by jrbucci »

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Useful Android Tablet Apps
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2013, 09:10 pm »
I have an Android HTC Sense tablet. Not the newest OR oldest Android tablet model but I am looking for useful apps for my job.  Thanks for posting this!

In addition to useful apps, do you use an external/physical keyboard for your tablet? I'm trying to a) determine if there is one good enough out there b) see what others' experiences are with one.

Amie
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

cassandramatt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM Spring Awakening at University of Southern Indiana
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Useful Android Tablet Apps
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:00 pm »
I wanna bring this back up to speed because it's been a while and the market is constantly changing. Any newer useful apps that any one has found?

I use epocrates (which is actually for people in the medical field) but it has useful tools like a pill identifier and a drug interaction check. I find this useful when someone needs to take a medication
Also the iTriage helps me remember all those things I learned in my first aid classes
Also the Multi Timer Stop Watch is super useful.

Thank you for your recommendations, I like the custom soundboard and the file2pdf and word 2pdf. Those are going to be super useful!
Midsummer Night's Dream