Author Topic: Bingo Dabbers or Daubers...  (Read 8470 times)

Oobleck1441

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Bingo Dabbers or Daubers...
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:42 pm »
Everyone knows when you run a production, ideas come up at the oddest times. Well I am currently working on the musical, Aladdin. But anyways. While at afternoon bingo this afternoon, I looked and my bingo dabber (or Dauber) and a great idea came to me. Instead of using colored post it flags or what ever, use different colored bingo daubers to mark your cues. Like green would be rail cues, red would be LX, or blue could be sound. Has anyone ever tried this before??? The only problem I could think of while using something like this is waiting awhile to let the ink dry... Give your input.. Thanks in advance...

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Bingo Dabbers or Daubers...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:41 pm »
Instead of using colored post it flags or what ever, use different colored bingo daubers to mark your cues.

Ummm, you mean using the bingo dauber in the way you wold use an instant drying highlighter?

Oobleck1441

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:15 pm »
Instead of using colored post it flags or what ever, use different colored bingo daubers to mark your cues.

Ummm, you mean using the bingo dauber in the way you wold use an instant drying highlighter?

Not really... Just place that colored dot in the cue margin where the cue is.. Just an eye catcher... But otherwise a highlighter does work too just you highlight the text.. I don't want to start some big uproar here.. Just an idea i think I'm gunna try it and see how it works..

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:44 am »
Hmmm, questions:  (not being a particularily bingo experienced person)

does the ink bleed through to the back of the page?

what do you do if you delete or move a cue?

but would probably be cheaper than buying post-its or stickers.

Hmm.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:29 am »
My initial reaction is "Why not just use a pencil", however I realise others like coloured dots/flags/indicators of some sort. I have never played bingo (outside of the school setting, where we drew up our own grid, and just crossed the squares out using a pen), so I did do a quick google for "What the hell is a bingo dauber" and this did tickle my fancy (You'll have to click it and see)... Coloured dots are not my style, but it would be fascinating to try and call under black-light.

Jessie_K's questions also came to my mind when I saw what they were. I imagine they would be a lot like permanent marker, in which case, 80GSM paper (Standard weight) would very quickly let the ink through, and it seems rather inflexible.

I find the coloured dot's I bought when I started out still sit in my stationary cupboard at home (yes, I am that addicted to stationary, that I have an entire wardrobe filled with it), however I found that if you stuck the dots on a plastic sheet protector before you stuck them on the page, at the end of the run, you could recycle them by sticking them onto the sheet protector again (I got 2 shows out of mine before I discarded the method, and the plastic sheet is still in my cupboard, and the dots can still be removed and re-stuck), which makes the dot method extremely cheap.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 04:37 am by Mac Calder »

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:50 am »
At one time, I considered using different colored pencils or post-its to put my cues on, but then I realized something. What if the light you are using to see your book is blue? This totally ruined what I was trying to do. If I did it then the colors I would be using would change colors. In this case, is still stick with a good dark pencil.

Just something to consider.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:00 pm »
Sounds interesting- but I know how often I change cues, so it wouldn't work for me...

I do post-it flags; the neon colors which pop under blue light-   ;D

Lady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA EMC
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:48 pm »
I used a system very much like that in high school.  I would layer a neon color (orange for lights, pink for sound. . .) over a primary color (red for stand by, green for go) and write the cue number/letter inside the circle. 
"One cannot truly become an artist unless he has questioned his own sanity and lived in a haunted house." -Jasmine Rivera

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:46 pm »
I use neon garage-sale dots.  I get the ones that you can use in a laser printer and pre-print Q numbers and carats on them.  I try to put them right in the text, under the line you will be calling.

O Melody, please marry me
                      ^
                     L20

the ^L20 would be on a flourescent green dot, with sound cues on flourescent pink.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

riotous