Author Topic: ETC CueSpiders  (Read 3248 times)

LexieTaylor

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alum, UW-Whitewater
  • Current Gig: Former SM/Occasional Freelancer
  • Experience: Professional
ETC CueSpiders
« on: Mar 14, 2017, 10:28 am »
Hi All,
At USITT, ETC featured a "CueSpider" system that is used to replace (or enhance) cue lights.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/CueSystem/Outstations.aspx

I think they seem pretty cool - I like the idea of individual stations for cueing, I like the screen that allows you to label your cues, and I love the acknowledge mode. I think I would worry about the unit being so small. The lights could easily be missed if operators aren't paying attention. Also, the words being available, but not easily visible may create more of a distraction than help in some cases.

Overall, I think this seems like a neat new gadget, and I'd like to hear how they work in a show setting.

Thoughts?

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: ETC CueSpiders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2017, 03:05 pm »
This system will work and is a much needed refresh of the antiquated method of cue lights.  Excellent design by ETC in the use of CATx network infrastructure that should be available in a modern venue.

Regarding your concern about operators not paying attention: if they miss their cue because they're not paying attention then you need new operators, not new cue lights.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2017, 03:15 pm by KMC »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

LexieTaylor

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alum, UW-Whitewater
  • Current Gig: Former SM/Occasional Freelancer
  • Experience: Professional
Re: ETC CueSpiders
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2017, 05:43 pm »
Regarding your concern about operators not paying attention: if they miss their cue because they're not paying attention then you need new operators, not new cue lights.
Good point!

riotous