Author Topic: The comfort of a featherweight headset  (Read 16297 times)

Libby

The comfort of a featherweight headset
« on: Apr 28, 2006, 02:15 pm »
I am now in the market to buy myself a featherweight headset. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on style, brand, etc. Also I am not exactly sure where the best place to order it is?
Thanks

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:37 pm »
A Lighting Designer has a great headset that she carries around with her everywhere in this cute little silver lunchbox thing haha! It's so cute.  I'll find out what kind hers is.  I've used it before.  It's super light weight, has a slim microphone and the piece around your head isn't huge and bulky.  I'll find out who it's made by and where you can check it out.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

DAE

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006, 06:05 pm »
Hi,

I personally carry around a Clear-Com CC-26 Headset wherever I go. Most of the systems I use are Clear Com, so it always works well. (Though, thanks to adapters, you can hook up just about anything). It is a great unit and very light.

My complaints are, The gooseneck mic can be a bit fragile. I had too send mine back once because it broke. Also, the price has gone up pretty high lately. I originally bought it at $119, nowadays it is almost $175. Great quality sound though.

Check ebay, they have good deals.

Good Luck.

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:16 pm »
Production Intercom makes some nice units. I like mine a lot.  Lightweight, and sturdy.  They have stood up to three years of student use without the first problem.  Compatible with ClearCom et al., and they are very reasonable.

www.beltpack.com

My local dealer (Louisville) is PSG Systems. (502) 495-1492.  
Ask for Phil.  Or email him at <phil@psgsystems.com>.  Great guy.
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2006, 08:45 pm »
I am not a real fan of ultralight headsets - I like having single muff head vices during a show. That said, when I am preshow, I usually wear a modified earwig (I worked for a few months at a University, and had the electronics department modify my 2 way radio earwig to take both clearcom/tecpro input and my 2 way at the same time).

That said - Beltpack.com really only make one ultralight, and it is a headband type - if you don't mind that, it is a good little headset. I can't stand headband headsets, so I loath it. Their other headsets are great though.

My best advice would be don't skimp on it (cost wise) and take good care of it. I used to own my own set of head clamps, I did skimp on them, and even though I took excelent care of them, they recently died.

As for the silver lunchbox - great idea. What I would suggest is talking to costume and seeing if someone there is willing to make you a headphone case (buy some leather and a good quality zip)

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:28 am »
I have a telex that I love and bought the adapters to go with it so it works on every thing out there.

I got it from toolsforstagecraft.com they have several options there to look at

HollywoodH

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:48 pm »
I'm so glad Libby asked about this as I'm looking into buying one for myself. :) I'll have to look into what was suggested.

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 03:32 am »
I have a telex which i love, and clearcom which i loathe (as mentioned previously, the boom is too heavy for the headband, and breaks far too easily).

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 11:25 am »
They use Telex lightweights at my school and they have certainly withstood the use of many different students day after day and being moved around between shows, etc.
That's all I got.

stgmgr4life

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: The comfort of a featherweight headset
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2006, 12:01 am »
The only problem with featherweight headsets I hear were if you get more then two in the same area you get horrible feedback. I'm not sure if that's true or a rumor. I'm interested to find out though. I perfer clearcom. I've worked with it a lot and find it very reliable.

fritz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2006, 12:11 am »
From my experiences, that rumor about feedback is not true at all. I have used a featherweight headset a few meters away from a lighting designer using one, and we got no feedback at all.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2006, 12:48 am »
I have a lightweight telex.  I believe the model number is PH-88, and I know many stage managers who use this.  I've used it at many theaters without having to get adaptors or anything and I absolutely love it.  Best thing ever, in my opinion.  I contacted Telex directly after USITT a few years ago and they were able to direct me to a local distributor who took my actualy order and sent it to me, etc.  Enjoy your new headset, whatever type you get.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2006, 01:31 pm »
I just recently bought my ex-girlfriend a featherweight for a High School graduation present, it was a telex brand and it cost arround US$156 from BMI Supply in Quincy, NY.  It is also compatible w/ most com systems.

katykat29

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2006, 04:55 pm »
Question on these headsets.
I'm deaf in one ear and have perfected the half on half off position when calling shows and boy that makes my eyeglasses dig into my head.
Looking at the over the ear Plantronics headset - do you think that it blocks out the ambient noise of the show?
Thanks for the info!

shatbox

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:46 pm »
I'm holding off on buying a headset because of the fact that the muffs almost always force your glasses into your head. Then your glasses get out of shape. Grrrr
Seek those with standards and meet them. Exceed them. Move forward. Set the standard.
iacosta@phillytheatreco.com