Author Topic: Taping a ground plan  (Read 5969 times)

cbksm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Taping a ground plan
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:38 pm »
How would you tape out a circle for the rehearsal room?

stagegal1

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Taping a ground plan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:12 pm »
Attach one end of a piece of string to the floor.  Make the string the length of the radius of the circle and attach a piece of chalk to the other end.  Chalk out the circle, then tape over.

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:13 pm »
Or use a pencil rather than chalk. Your tape will adhere better and the graphite should come up when you pull the tape.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:02 pm »
You can also mark the center point, and then 8-12 points (think of a clock, mark 12,2,4, etc) and then connect the dots.  The bigger your circle, the more points you will need to mark. 
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:58 pm »
Here's a trick RuthNY just taught me!  You need two people (three is mighty helpful) but it's very simple.  One person kneels at the center of the circle holding the end of a tape measure.  The other person pulls the base of the tape measure to the correct distance from center and locks the measure at that distance.  Then start the spike tape on the floor and using the underneath side of the tape measure, push it down.  I think we ended up with the tape being held by the hand closest to center and the base of the tape measure in the hand on the outside of the circle.  Continue to push the tape down with the underneath side of the tape measure and this will force the tape to curve as you make your way around your circle.  Make sure the person in the center continues to pivot correctly and you'll have a perfect circle in no time.

RuthNY:  Please feel free to update if your written directions are more clear than mine!
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:29 pm »
I have a tape measure which has a metal loop at the end - put a drawing pin into the floor in the centre of the circle, hook the loop over it and use the radius of the circle as your measurement on the tape.  I usually mark out points around the circle (unless it's a small circle!) and then go back and join them up.  I did a production of Arsenic and Old Lace where we had spiral staircases on the set so I got very good at marking circles out!

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:15 am »
What Deb describes is indeed the easiest way I have found to tape a circle. Not only do you not need any supplies other than your tape measure and tape, but you only have to do the work once. Even marking out points around the circle and then filling in, is a two step process, and you are still stuck with the task of bending the tape without making "corners."

As long as the person holding the end of the tape measure stays on the center point and allows the tape to swivel/pivot naturally, you have no choice but to end up with a circle.

However, I do recommend knee pads, 'cause it's hell on the knees for the person doing the taping!

Here's a trick RuthNY just taught me!  You need two people (three is mighty helpful) but it's very simple.  One person kneels at the center of the circle holding the end of a tape measure.  The other person pulls the base of the tape measure to the correct distance from center and locks the measure at that distance.  Then start the spike tape on the floor and using the underneath side of the tape measure, push it down.  I think we ended up with the tape being held by the hand closest to center and the base of the tape measure in the hand on the outside of the circle.  Continue to push the tape down with the underneath side of the tape measure and this will force the tape to curve as you make your way around your circle.  Make sure the person in the center continues to pivot correctly and you'll have a perfect circle in no time.

RuthNY:  Please feel free to update if your written directions are more clear than mine!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda