Author Topic: Strange things in your kit, and how they got there  (Read 3195 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Strange things in your kit, and how they got there
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:14 pm »
This could be fun. Do you have strange items that you haul around with you based on prior experiences? What are they, and how did they come to be part of your standard equipment?

For example, I once had a fly cue from the booth for a practical. During one preview, the line clipped my glasses and sent them sailing out the booth window to the floor below. I didn't have to stop the show, but I did have to have an deck crew member tell me over com when certain actors hit their marks for the remainder of the act, as I couldn't even see out of the booth, let alone all the way down to the stage. Fortunately the glasses landed near the sound board and were retrieved by intermission, but from that point on I always carried a lanyard for my glasses in the kit.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Strange things in your kit, and how they got there
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 pm »
A bellhop bell, after doing a show with LOADS of text-message and email-alert sounds.

Also, scratch-and-sniff stickers, because who doesn't love scratch and sniff stickers? (You're the only actor who didn't get line notes today? GRAPE JOB!)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:59 am »
I've got a whistle... left behind from a show with a referee. Yoinked it from the dressing room during strike, washed it, put it on a lanyard (a very pretty one that a friend made for me out of purple and green glass beads - I used to keep my old work ID on it). Got a lot of use out of that whistle during rehearsals for a show with six teenagers in it (and a bunch of adults with attitudes and no sense of focus).

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:10 am »
I have, um, a c**k-ring . . . it was a opening night gift . . . for the first two act version of I AM MY OWN WIFE (written and directed by Doug Wright, with Jefferson Mayes).  My lighting designer gave it to me.  I had no idea of what to do with it.

I MEAN, I know what to do with it . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:09 pm »
We've done this before. Sorry. Continue over in the original thread if you feel so inclined.

riotous