Author Topic: Stage Manager workstation/Desk  (Read 13027 times)

jalooz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Stage Manager workstation/Desk
« on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:38 pm »
Anyone have plans or sources or the ideal SM backstage desk?  The one at my theater gives me a back ache and is not conducive to organization.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Manager workstation/Desk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:16 am »
My boys built me a road box that's AWESOME.  They built is specifically for me -- so they measured the height of my knees when I am sitting in my chair, and then measured how wide my binder is when open and left a little extra space for my clipboard -- the part where my score sits is slanted, and has a cover that flips up and this is where my monitors sit.  Also in front of me I have the switch plate for all the cue lights and a little lite (and eventually a clock and clear com) These run through the back of the box -- there is another compartment in the back that has all these cables and a power strip to plug in the monitors and lite.  There is a big drawer that I divided up into sections, underneath the drawer is a shelf that folds up so my shins don't get bruised while we're sitting there and also creates my valuables lock up. Then there's a large compartment underneath where I can pack everything up when we travel.  This compartment has two drawers that lock up and of course the top folds

Also one of them built me a "coffee cup holder" that is similar to those ones you can buy to fit in your car door -- but it's slanted so it hangs over the ledge of the "desk" area. 

It's great!    I'll try to get some pictures and post them, because it's difficult to describe.  They built the whole thing for about $300 total, including labor and all materials. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007, 06:15 pm »
Sounds great! Eyes wide, waiting to see the photos.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...

jalooz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2007, 10:04 pm »
Amen to that (waiting for pictures).  Sounds awsome

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2007, 03:55 am »
On another forum, I asked much the same question, when designing a prompt desk (which did end up getting built, and worked quite well) for a proscenium arch venue. There were more opinions than you could poke a stick at, so many in fact that in the end, I took a step back and said "What essential functions do I need to perform at the prompt desk" and worked from there.

I needed to be able to contact various people/departments and make announcements

I needed to know the time, as well as run times

I needed to be able to see

I needed to be able to read my prompt book, yet be able to continually glance up and see the stage.

I needed to be able to cue cue-lights.

I needed access to the phone network, with the option to turn off the sound (and use a flasher)

I needed control of the house lights/workers etc

I needed to be able to view camera feeds

I needed other SM's who may use computer scripts to be able to use it

I needed to be able to lock up actors valuables

I needed to be able to move the desk, in the event of an SM wishing to call from another location.

So what we did, when designing it, was to take that list and try and find solutions to each.

In the end, we ended up using an L shaped design on casters.

The side facing the stage was basically a sloped surface with a small lip along the bottom for the prompt book, an a littlelite. Beside the ledge (on the left) was a smallish table surface, with an LCD touch screen monitor and some space for stationary/drinks etc. It was intended that the SM would face that way, with almost all other features on the protrusion which ran along the wall when placed in prompt corner (left hand side). Some of the other items which were placed in the return were 4 channel cans with gooseneck mic, camera switcher/pan-tilt control, another computer monitor, as well as a few items the LX and Sound guy made up (telephone ringer etc). We computerised a lot of it, including cue lights - although the cue lights also had a manual control, and by using Voice Over IP, we could control how the phone operated.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 09:15 am »
My boys built me a road box that's AWESOME [...] They built the whole thing for about $300 total, including labor and all materials. 

Sounds like your boys were very nice to you on the price!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:07 am »
My boys built me a road box that's AWESOME.  They built is specifically for me --

That is SSSSOOOOOO awesome! I'm totally jealous!  :P

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:09 am »
okay I found my budget sheet and I guess it was a little bit more than $300; actually about $500, but it's also not mine personally, it's the company's...I suppose if I ever leave I wouldn't be able to keep it.  But what would I do with it anyway?  Keep it in my apartment?  It's not exactly something I could throw in the back of my little honda.  =)

Also I forgot that I had put this post up here so I'll work a bit harder on getting those pictures.  =) 
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 12:11 am by BalletPSM »
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

OfficerKrupke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:16 pm »
I kinda designed what I'd like mine to look like. I'm guessing it looks a lot like Mac's, just with bigger monitors.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:54 am »
Sort of close... However this one was a LOT higher - I think it was 4'3" or somewhere arround that number at it's highest point. It also only has 2 sides, not the back return, the monitors were also on arms, so that they could be positioned to be comfortable.

John Stout

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • THE CHURCH Group Media Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2008, 01:06 pm »
Greetings,

Here is a link to some pictures of the top of the table with different tools on it.

newbielink:http://www.thechurchgroup.com/media/blog/?p=105 [nonactive]

John

John
newbielink:http://www.TheChurchGroup.com/Media/Blog [nonactive]

riotous