Author Topic: Special Effects Classes?  (Read 3483 times)

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
  • Experience: Professional
Special Effects Classes?
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:59 pm »
While Stage Management is my first love, I am also very interested in special effects (especially blood effects). I live in the Boston area and I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place to take classes in special effects for the theatre.

I know this might be a long shot, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks!

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Special Effects Classes?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:18 pm »
Everything I know about blood, from the razors in Sweeney Todd to a simple blood pack, I learned from the props master at The Repertory Theater of St. Louis . . .although if you are lucky enough to find a good makeup artist they might have some cool tips up their sleeve, too.  There is an awesome fake blood called Reel Blood, it's expensive as all get out but so (SO!) worth it.

Now, I also do special effects makeup on the side which is something I picked up from someone who did costume crafts.  I'm pretty darn good at burns, scars, wounds, gashes, bruises, scrapes, and things like that.  Books are also a great resource in the world of special effects makeup  . .  . and to practice, I did makeup for all my friends one year for Halloween, whether they wanted to be a drag queen or a zombie, I did it all.  Sometimes you just have to practice on yourself for the sake of it . . . take a picture and make a portfolio, even if it is all you as 30 different characters and creatures.

If you want to know more about a specific effect, PM me.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

shannonrose

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Special Effects Classes?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2008, 06:30 am »
The ONLY place to go..i start next week and am beyond excited..you get an actual degree
newbielink:http://www.douglas-school.com/savinisite/index.html [nonactive]

newbielink:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=264537845 [nonactive]