Author Topic: Smart Watches  (Read 142 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Smart Watches
« on: Oct 29, 2017, 02:42 am »
Hey folks, question for the group out there and one to provoke some discussion.  On the subject of smart watches: how much have these made it into your rehearsal rooms and performances? 

Have you adopted one as part of your work process?  What are the pros and cons?

How do you handle actors wearing them during rehearsal and what is their effect on the rehearsal process (e.g. distractions from notifications while in scene)?   
Get action. Do things; be sane; donít fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Smart Watches
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2017, 03:20 pm »
Right now my director has a smart watch and it's actually been quite disruptive. He's also trying to do things at too many theatres at once, plus has had a sick child, so very often it could be important what's on the other end. I think a stage manager might handle it better and more subtly, as we're in the phase where he's giving a lot of direction rather than runthroughs. I know actors who've had them, but I believe they've turned off notifications or ignored them (or simply weren't popular! Ha.).

Erin

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Smart Watches
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:24 am »
I've had a few actors with them and honestly didn't notice them or see them as distraction: if anything, people were more likely to put their phones away and not check them so much since the watch would let them know if anything major important was happening. I don't see people nearly as focused on the watch as the phone (probably due to the lack of screen size).
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)