Author Topic: Oops! I didn't mean to send that.  (Read 11417 times)

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Oops! I didn't mean to send that.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2009, 12:11 pm »
Just my opinion, but I feel like reply to all should almost never be used.  It creates a lot of mail that people don't necessarily need (taking up server space), and frequently sends info to people who are not involved in whatever the discussion is.  This invites one more cook to the kitchen with their opinion of how something should work or be resolved, which is not always a good thing.  Again, just my opinion, and certainly there are times when it is a benefit, not a detriment.

I like it when "reply all" is used.  Yes, sometimes it leads to an influx of emails, but it takes half a second to delete if it doesn't pertain to you.  We've gotten a lot of good brainstorming and problem solving done by using the reply all.  Sometimes it's frustrating when people only reply to me from a report with ideas that should really go to the group.  It puts me in the position of constantly forwarding emails around.  I'm also of the opinion that we all benefit from knowing what's going on...

Edit: cleaned up bb code for quote accuracy -kmc307
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2009, 01:05 pm by kmc307 »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2009, 12:21 pm »
I have to admit that although reply all can get you into trouble, if an e-mail discussion is started to a group, keeping it going as a group is a good idea - so everyone can maintain either input in the situation, collaborate on a solution, or just be kept in the loop.  I hate when a designer says "What ever became of that issue . . . ". 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:08 pm »
I have to admit that although reply all can get you into trouble, if an e-mail discussion is started to a group, keeping it going as a group is a good idea - so everyone can maintain either input in the situation, collaborate on a solution, or just be kept in the loop.  I hate when a designer says "What ever became of that issue . . . ". 

I agree with Matthew on this one.  It's easy for someone to delete an email that they may not need.  If they don't get a piece of information they need it can create a mess later on.  Not to say I'm one of those folks that CCs the world on all emails, but I do think a discussion should stay with all parties on the original message.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Libby

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:52 am »
But I think there are different circumstances for the reply all. Brainstorming is one thing, when a discussing is going on and a solution is needed. But the reply all that I sometimes get from my rehearsal/performance reports (ie - my sound designer asking why he is getting 15 emails regarding what the color of the bedspread should be).

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2009, 11:06 pm »
One of the things that I use to keep emails going the right direction is the 'nickname' feature that my email programs all have.  I usually put someone's last name in - since last names are typically more distinct that first names (Okay, so I know like 15 Davids).  That way when I type in the name, I'm certain that its going to the right person.  As well, mistakes do happen.  But taking responsibility for the mistake and handling it gracefully go a long way towards improving your reputation.  Own up to it immediately, send an apology as soon as you discover the mistake - don't wait for a response from the other person before you act (unless you don't realize what you've done, then respond as soon as you learn).  If you can find some way to add humor into your apology, that always helps.

-Centaura