Poll

What price would you be willing to pay for a full-featured SM-specific app for mobile/tablet devices?

Free / Ad-Supported
$.99 - $2.99
$3.00 - $7.99
$8.00 - $14.99
$15.00 - $24.99
$25.00+

Author Topic: SM App Price  (Read 5470 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
SM App Price
« on: Mar 23, 2014, 10:24 am »
Further to this thread in the Intro's board, I thought it worthwhile to continue the discussion on the market for a fully-featured SM-specific app.

What would you pay for such an app for mobile/tablet devices?  What features would you require?  Vote in the poll above and debate your responses in this thread.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SM App Price
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:49 pm »
Given the salary range of too much of our work, even acknowledging that the market is smaller and therefore justifies a higher price break to make it profitable, this thing had better make dinner and clean up after to make me want to spend real money on it.

I would be open to the bottom two price breaks if it truly did what I needed and made my life easier in a larger way, but for now, I am happy with pencil and paper, especially for the shorter runs happening more and more often.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2014, 12:17 am by loebtmc »

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:56 pm »
The amount I would be willing to pay for something is directly correlated to how much the app does. If it's a one-function thing, I would say less than $7. If it were some kind of magical database-creating, form-auto-filling, time calculating, digital-blocking-script-creating wonder-app (that was also incredibly customizable and easy to use HAHAHA) I would pay a lot more.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:39 pm »
As stated above, exactly how much it does is HUGE. I also rarely pay more than $2 for any app if I do pay for it at all.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:36 pm »
The replies so far hinge heavily on functionality (understandably).  So we understand it has to do enough to be worth the money, what specifically are SMs out there looking for?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:17 am »
Definitely a break timer and show runtime/scene change timer. And maybe some sort of drawing tool to make ground plans? I don't know how complicated that would be, but it'd definitely be very helpful.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:23 am »
my issue with any sort of app or program is always going to be is - does it do what I need it to do the way I do it or I am going to have to adapt to the program.

How long is the app or program going to be around?

What operating systems is it going to be on?

Is it a novelty or does it genuinely make my ob easier?

Does the app program over simplify the process and thus dumb it down (think scheduling programs that do it the "way that makes sense to the process")

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2014, 01:09 am »
I was a little late jumping on the smartphone bandwagon, so maybe I could be considered a bit of a luddite, but I don't see the point of a "stage management app". Right now what I have is a folder of an assortment of free apps on my phone that work well for stage management. I think a single 'multi-purpose' app would just be too bulky for the variety and scope of work we do. I have a free Microsoft office suite type app, Scan to PDF which turns my photos to PDF files, a Stopwatch, Dropbox, and Box. All of which were free. And work just fine.

(And many apps I have found through recommendations from here- Thanks!)