Author Topic: Should I become a Mac-er?  (Read 30335 times)

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Should I become a Mac-er?
« on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:55 pm »
Guess the green room is the best place for this question. (Edit: moved to "Tools of the Trade" to complement other PC/Mac/MS Office topics there.  ~nmno)
I am looking to move to a Mac. My Sony is two years old and is getting slow and what not. I went to Comp USA the other day to look at the new Sony notebooks. The problem is the Vista program they ALL use now. I have heard that old programs just do not like Vista and cause a huge mess. I do not want that. So the guy showing me around said "Have you looked at a Mac?" Of course I love the way a Mac looks and the whole difference that they have from a PC. I had to contain myself from jumping up and down and just said "not really". My question is, if you have a Mac, do you love it? Was it hard to learn to use? Then comes the dreaded move. I have a lot to move from my Sony to a new computer, so I wonder if that would be a huge mess or not with a Mac. I am by no means a computer guru, so any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007, 08:26 pm by nmno »
~pay it forward~

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Should I become a Mac-er?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:21 pm »
I have the first version of the MacBook Pro, and I love it.
My only problem is that the hard is not big enough(80GB) though this has been remedied in newer models(120GB).
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

limelight

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2007, 04:07 pm »
I just got a MacBook two months ago (as my desktop PC has too many things wrong with it to count), and I absolutely love it. I don't know much about computers either, but Apple has some service where they will transfer all your documents and such from your old computer onto your Mac. It didn't take me that long to get used to the Mac format, and I now find myself trying to use Mac keyboard shortcuts on my worthless PC, which is still miraculously running.

I think there's another topic in this forum about Macs vs. PCs, which I can't find right now, but it really comes down to personal preference.
Toe-dancing is a dandy attention-getter, second only to screaming. -- Agnes de Mille

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2007, 09:08 pm »
Meh. Vista isnt so bad. I have yet to find a program that doesnt work on it.

I never got into Macs but thats because I was obsessed with Linux. (Its a long story). I dont think Macs are that amazing.
-C-

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2007, 11:13 pm »
I made the switch to a Mac about 2 years ago.  It started with my husband getting a Mac, and I was still using my Dell laptop which was getting increasingly slower, so I ended up using his computer more than mine.  When the time came for me to get a new laptop it wasn't even a question.

Good luck with your decision!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2007, 07:55 am »
Go macs! ;D
ChaCha

stagemngrjb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2007, 10:21 pm »
I'v owned three PC based laptops and have not ever had a single virus related problem. What I have had is much problem getting documents made on one machine to look and work right on another. This problem is becomming less and less as the software catches up and the mac becomes more popular. My TD in school had a Mac and he had waaaay more wireless problem then I'v ever had. The only Vista problems I'v had are with old games, everything else works just fine.

Also, remember, not all pc laptops are created equal. Some brands are better than others and some models in the same brand are better than others.

As with anything, whatever you're comfortable with is what you should get.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2007, 02:43 am »
Right now, the one thing keeping me from moving to a Mac, other than the fact that I can't afford/don't need a new laptop at this time, is the fact that you can't run AutoCAD on a Mac.  And let me tell you, AutoCAD has become my lifeline when it comes to creating minis, figuring out scene shifts/backstage packs, and plotting out a set for taping.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2007, 06:10 am »
Sure you can - look at Bootcamp and Parallels. Both will allow you to run windows applications.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2007, 09:02 am »
PCs are more susceptible to Viruses if you have no clue what you're doing.  I've been using a PC for 10 years and have never once gotten a Virus.  It's really not that hard.  You get a Virus protection program and you don't go where you shouldn't go. 

As for Vista - there's another thread regarding it somewhere on the forums.  I'll just say I have never had any problems running any software, old or new.  A lot of the hype about Vista having issues comes from the fact that it's new.  Everything has bugs when it's new.  Mac went through, Windows XP went through.  Video Game consoles go through it.  It's the nature of technology.  It's really not as difficult or scary as it sounds.

Wireless problems I've also never had.  Don't know who is claiming that issue.  Some laptops do have better range than others but that goes for PCs and Macs.  That has to do with the antennas that are built in. 

But if you really want to get a Mac go for it.  It's entirely up to you.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2007, 12:03 pm »
Mac.
Absolutely.
Ordo ab chao

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2007, 12:40 pm »
OK. This topic can go on, BUT..I GOT MY MAC!! I love it! It came today and I am like SO happy. I am using it pretty well right now. A few things are like "WTF" to me. No clue where "bootcamp" is at. The "iLife" app is wanting me to buy it or something. WIRELESS IS DOWN!! I have no clue what the password is for my wireless thing here at home. NO CLUE. Some guy came in and set all that up. I hope that I can find it here on my Sony some place. Thanks for all the advice. I am proud to be a Mac-er now. BTW, if no one has liked used that term before, "Mac-er", I now own it and I think I should start a group someplace. Give me a few days on that lol. Off I go to learn some more about my new baby.
~pay it forward~

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2007, 12:46 pm »
Unless you're going to be using it for graphics intensive applications I'd stick with a PC.  PC is far and away the standard in business and will be for the forseeable future.

I have never had any problems with viruses or my wireless in any PC that I owned -ever.  If you do it's most likely operator error.  In fact I have a desktop PC that I have taken good care of and kept well-maintained, it's 5 years old and runs like new.  Don't listen to people who bash one or the other.  Find a friend who has a Mac, play it and see what you like better.  At the end of the day as long as you're getting your job done that's what matters the most.  
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2007, 01:41 pm »
I too am making the switch. I have had a PC notebook for years but I needed a new one and after much pressure and playing around on a few owned by friends I have decided Mac is the way for me. I ordered the Black Macbook with the dual processors and 160G hard drive. My last laptop purchase had to be a PC because of my windows programs. I am an intense user of excel, we use an interactive calling script at work that includes conditional formatting and macros. I also needed to run Richmond Show Control. However, now, I will put windows on my Mac and I can run all of those programs in windows with no conflict. Most of my home use of the laptop is for email, photo and video purposes. I have found the Mac superior in all of these uses and my poor laptop has been sitting dusty while I use my roommate's mac while at home. So, now I am leaving for tour and the choice was clear. I receive it on Friday. I will let you know how the switch over goes.

I am very excited to be a Mac-er and because I am taking a French class at the local community college I qualified for the educational discount. $100 off the laptop and a free nano - woohoo - D
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2007, 03:00 pm »
I love the black one! It is such an amazing feeling opening up the box and turning it on for the first time. You will love it. I am still looking at putting Windows on mine. I have not gone all the way through my Mac to see about what all I will need Windows for. I just wish I could have got the ipod with mine. Missed that deal by one year. Very sad lol. I started a "Mac-ers" group on Facebook. Look it up and join!
~pay it forward~