Author Topic: Should an ASM have their kit?  (Read 4729 times)

MadisonSchultes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Should an ASM have their kit?
« on: Oct 17, 2016, 01:22 pm »
Hello all! I am working an educational show as an ASM, which I haven't done in a while, and I had a quick question. I have a pretty extensive sm kit (that I've gathered from over the years), should I bring these to rehearsals/tech? It is a dance show, and I will only be apart of the process for about a week (tech week into shows), and the SM I am currently working under is a senior, so I assume he has his own kit.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Should an ASM have their kit?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2016, 01:25 pm »
It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Have you asked him if he's got sufficient kit?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MadisonSchultes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2016, 08:36 pm »
I'm not sure if that is appropriate in this case. I am a transfer sophomore at this university and, though I have previous experience, I am not sure if it would be considered rude (he is a senior stage management major, and just previously stage managed our first mainstage show of the season).

Post Merge: Oct 17, 2016, 11:51 pm
I just don't want to come off as rude and suggest that he doesn't know what he is doing.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016, 11:51 pm by MadisonSchultes »

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:37 am »
If he thinks you're rude for asking a genuine question then he is too sensitive.  You can approach it tactfully as to not suggest he is unprepared, but there is nothing rude about asking the question.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:41 am »
I have two answers to this:

- At some point (presumably) you'll ask for your first call, or be given it. I'd use this to reply/ask 'is there anything you'd like me to bring'? Then you've asked a question, without assuming they are unprepared/stupid/etc.

- My kit is pretty handy (http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=17&Sub=80&PID=7452 in Medium), so I just take it with me. Then I know I have everything I need!

C

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2016, 09:08 am »
I have never considered it rude when one of my assistants has brought their kit or had anyone upset with me when I was an ASM and brought my own.  People like having their own gear on hand and there's nothing wrong with that.  Although I always recommend making use of what the school or theatre supplies you with first before you use your own supply.  But if you're nervous about it you can always do what they others have said and ask.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2016, 10:07 am »
It never hurts to ask. You may even find that your kit is a complement to the SM's kit. I did one show where my 3-hole punch worked better than the one provided by the theatre so the SM used mine.