Author Topic: Scheduling Software  (Read 7161 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Scheduling Software
« on: Jul 10, 2014, 01:12 pm »
So, I am about to embark on a huge project - 17 cast members - no big deal - plus 32 choir (pulled from a pool of 120 ish nightly). 

That is set up so the choir doesn't have to do 8 shows a week.

I am looking for a scheduling software where I can list the roles, and the choir slots, and fill people in, see holes, and so forth.

I have done a google search, but I am looking to see if someone has any success with any such thing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: Scheduling Software
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2014, 02:22 pm »
Is this the non-pro choir that's been under discussion for low these many months?

If I understand the situation correctly, I wouldn't worry about scheduling software, but treat it like a pick-up orchestra and deal thru the MD/choir director to make sure the compliment is full nightly. I might even use one of the PAs or other folks to be a choir wrangler.

Of course, getting to know a little abt these folks is a good thing, which will be your wrangler's job to report to you, since knowing who is responsible and who has to be found will help immeasurably.

And - good luck! (well, break legs)
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014, 04:35 pm by loebtmc »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2014, 02:33 pm »
Yeah that's the current plan . . . but I am looking at improving it . . . especially when dealing with Choir Understudies, and replacements as needed  - and also looking at home we will deal with this as the show moves forward.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2014, 02:44 pm »
I have used doodle.com before because you can send out an e-mail and each choir member can put in their availability in an easy poll-like format without having to sign up for the site or anything.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2014, 12:55 am »
I think the way I am going to go is create my own data base

So, it would allow me "cast" each performance, and then from the generate the following paperwork

1) Cast List for the evening
2) Sign In List
3) List for Wardrobe of choir robes needed
4) Performed list (versus who we thought would perform, who would actually perform)

This  #3 would make life easier to just hit a different report for wardrobe.

#4 for payroll.

So, for the next four weeks I am going to teach myself access and web application programming . . .

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2014, 01:49 am »
so, sort of an "if/then" program

I wonder if you could just do an excel spreadsheet where name, payroll and costume fields were tied so when you selected for the night's group it would generate a nightly master list that serves multiple functions

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2014, 02:28 am »
I started there, and it going a little too big for excel.

I am trying to recreate a system from my circus adventure . . . in a sort of very simple way.

I could easily deal with the robe size if in it read like

Choir 1
Dennis Lewis (48)

Where the size tracked with the name . . .

I think it might be too much for excel, but we will see . . .

The reason I am leaning towards the data base it basically because the option to generate different reports, and put it up on the web.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2014, 05:56 am »
Overkill for your situation, but I use Retain Resource Manager - I have a resource labeled "Uncrewed" and I create all the shifts needed to be filled. It is then a simple matter of drag and drop. It has full reporting features.

I can also fill in not-availabilities, RDO's etc. It is a really nice piece of software, but it does have a price tag attached.

There are a few other wallchart pieces of software which may also fill that same void.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2014, 05:58 am by Mac Calder »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2014, 02:17 pm »
It's overkill right now . . .

But truly this is the case the journey maybe more important then the goal - and learning how to use databases, setting them up, etc . . . might pay off.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2014, 10:23 am »
On second thought, pivot tables may be a better option to accomplish this than my last suggestion of VLOOKUP.  It can be done with one tab containing your raw data set as a "named range".  I've called mine "ChoirList".  From there, add separate tabs for each discipline.

Example, sign in sheet for the mass choir call - you can select the "choir group" from a drop down menu, and your sign in sheet is populated with the names of those in that group.

For wardrobe, you select the "choir group" and a list of robe sizes and quantities is populated so they know exactly what's required for that show. 

You can manipulate the data any number of ways doing this, and for any number of disciplines - you could even create a contact sheet for that night's show based on the choir groupings. 

It takes some work to get it going, but once you do disseminating information for that night's rehearsal or show takes about 2 minutes.

Here's a very basic example

Disclaimer - this is very much FUNCTION over form  ;D  I put this together in about 10 minutes over morning coffee, please go easy on the formatting :)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014, 10:28 am by KMC »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2014, 03:34 pm »
WOW!

KMC - thanks . . . this maybe an answer - I will play along with.

(The reason why database came up - my husband is a data base manager . . . it's his answer for everything)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2014, 05:48 pm »
my husband is a data base manager . . . it's his answer for everything

My dad is the same way. I kind of am as well.

At my first day of lighting design class the prof said, "I am giving you fair warning. From this day forward you when you attend a show you will never be able to pay attention to what's happening on stage. You will always be looking up. If you wish to still enjoy acting, plot and character development, you may leave now."

I think when it comes to information organization databases have the same effect. Everything else pales in comparison. However, there's times when simpler things are enough. In general - if the information needs to be *read* by others in a multitude of different formats, but the nature of those formats should be controlled one person, use a database. If the information needs to be *manipulated* by others in many different formats that are not yet known, use a spreadsheet.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2014, 06:55 pm »
(see, this is why I need to take some classes in computer programs - this is what I was thinking when I posted a suggestion, but with all wrong lingo and without the ability to put the concept on paper).

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2014, 09:59 pm »
WOW!

KMC - thanks . . . this maybe an answer - I will play along with.

(The reason why database came up - my husband is a data base manager . . . it's his answer for everything)

No worries - happy to help.  In my life after stage management I do a LOT with Excel, a fair amount of it being on the financial side.  I've learned a lot of formulas as a means of analysis and time saving.

Still trying to think of an elegant way to tackle the payroll thing.  I have a couple in mind, but both require a good bit of manual effort still.  Ideally I think you'd like to be able to send the accounting folks one list per pay period that has the names and number of days worked.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2014, 10:18 pm »
Another thought is to talk with FOH. They may have something for tracking ushers.