Author Topic: S.M.Arts Conference in Toronto  (Read 4217 times)

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
  • Experience: Professional
S.M.Arts Conference in Toronto
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:39 pm »
While this could just as equally be posted in the 'Students and Novice SM' section, I thought I should include this here as the Conference is geared to expanding the knowledge of all SMs - so definitely 'Tools of the Trade'.

My copy of the brochure just arrived. The S.M.Arts: Stage Managing the Arts Conference takes place February 28 - March 10, 2008. This will be the 12th Conference in Toronto and encompasses 28 workshops as lead by active SMs, Production Managers, Artistic Directors, Equity Staff and Career Counselors. The workshops cost $35 per individual course, $30 each for 10 or more or a Conference Pass at $560.00.

Workshops this year are: Scheduling & Planning, Notation/Forms/Prompt Script, Wardrobe, Production Management, Problem Solving, Film Festival, Industrials, Production Stage Manager, Reading Plans, Assistant Stage Management, Financial Planning, Job Interview/Negotiating, Dance, Apprentice Stage Manager, Canadian Theatre Agreement - two Sessions, Special Events, Giving Notes, Resume Building, Training Apprentices, Theatre for Young Audiences, Repertory, Safety, Commercial Musicals, Reading Music, Opera, Calling a Show and Career Transitioning.

There is also a day long Master Class on 'Stage Managing the Ballet' with the National Ballet of Canada at an additional $80.

Oh, and there's a  'Pub Night' on the final evening, too!

Previous participants have come from across Canada and from Europe.

More info on the Conference (and assistance with finding digs) can be had by contacting Janelle Rainville at smartsconference@gmail.com or (416) 200-7588. With luck, Janelle should be able to get this brochure out to you if you contact her in a timely manner.

One or two items here have caught my eye - 
SM'ing since God was a child.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
Re: S.M.Arts Conference in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:29 pm »
Is that $560.00 Canadian?

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:53 pm »
Yuppers - so that's about $USD564, £283, ¥60,000, 380 EURO at today's rates...

Plus accommodation, obviously.

(Oh, and don't forget your passport. We're a friendly bunch up here, but if you're hoping to get back into the States thereafter, US Immigration will want the passport...)
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008, 06:08 pm by Baz »
SM'ing since God was a child.

JennaFen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:11 am »
This is a great conference organized by a wonderful team - I second the recommendation.