Author Topic: Blocking Software  (Read 4935 times)

wgkrause

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: California State University, Chico
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Intern- A.C.T.
  • Experience: Professional
Blocking Software
« on: Mar 31, 2009, 12:29 am »
I was wondering if anyone has any advice about taking blocking notation digitally. I've heard rumors of a word plug-in, but I was hoping for some input.

--Split, mac.calder 31 March 09, to increase chances of direct answer to question and to avoid bringing up an old topic
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009, 04:21 pm by Mac Calder »

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Blocking Software
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:14 pm »
I've heard of people using the comment feature in Microsoft Word to do blocking and/or cues.

Also - if you have Microsoft One-Note, it enables you to write directly over a word document.  Though if you're doing it in your own handwriting, I suppose that would kind of defeat the purpose of digitizing it.

I played around with a few ways of doing this when I was SMing but never found anything that saved me any time, it just created loads more work in formatting and editing. 

Have you found any methods that work well?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Blocking Software
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:47 pm »
For broad scene compositions (not what you're really asking, I realize) I use OmniGraffle. It worked quite well for getting the dance and scene compositions set for Pippin I did earlier this year. They are posted on my web site at at http://www.michaelclark.net/2009/05/pippin-at-prince-william-little-theatre/ under "Section V. Scene Compositions."