Author Topic: Random, household things, you use/keep on stage.  (Read 13878 times)

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Random, household things, you use/keep on stage.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:54 pm »
Tampons. Not only are they great to have if one of your female actors (or possibly even yourself!!) gets their monthly gift a little early. They are also very helpful if you have any form of a liquid spill and dont have any paper towels.  :)

Similarily, I've used other female sanitary objects as makeshift bandaids when someone cut themselves quite badly.

When doing period shows with lots of hoopskirts and fancy puffed sleeves I tend to keep metal coat hangers on hand. In a pinch they can help prop up the frame of a costume until it can be properly repaired. Also, another coat hanger or two never went awry on a costume-heavy show - neither have clothepins as a matter of fact.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:17 pm »
I use clear nail polish.  It's good for stopping runs in hoes, tights, etc. It also is great for putting over rough edges on sets, as a temp. glue, and quickly sealing things that have ripped. 

bull

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:47 pm »
I would never have thought of using clear nail polish to stop runs in hoes. Rather ingenious if I may say so.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:39 pm »
I would never have thought of using clear nail polish to stop runs in hoes. Rather ingenious if I may say so.
Ha! Really? That's an old trick.  :) Never fails!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:58 pm »
never thought of that as obscure - but maybe it's cuz so few women wear hose any more - it was common knowledge among us girls in the old days

also hairspray works (tho not as well) - and hairspray and handsoap are great for dimming the glare of onstage mirrors

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:17 am »
I was a dancer for 19 years, and nail polish was a common trick for dance tights.  we still use them at our theatre. Nail polish stops runs VERY well with dance tights.  i've even been able to stitch fishnets back together with it.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:30 pm »
It sounds gross, but superglue is great for bonding small cuts together.  It's not just for arts and crafts anymore!  I only use this on myself however since I imagine other people might be a little weirded out if I offered superglue instead of a bandaid.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:15 am »
It sounds gross, but superglue is great for bonding small cuts together.  It's not just for arts and crafts anymore!  I only use this on myself however since I imagine other people might be a little weirded out if I offered superglue instead of a bandaid.

Yes, weird. But my father used this method in a pinch when his finger had a small slice in it from moving something. It was bleeding and to be sure it didn't get on his tux, we used the superglue fix.

Crazy.  But it works. I think he had heard of this method from a doctor actually.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:48 am »

This is one of the original uses for super glue--it was a field fix in the Vietnam War.  There's a special formula of the glue that is still used medically today.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

little_owl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:52 pm »
I had a roommate who cut his finger with an exacto knife and used super glue for that. I thought it was messed up but it helped. I don't know if I could do that to myself though.

Escape84

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:51 pm »
I keep hearing about the superglue thing lately... will have to try it.

Chapstick or lip balm is also good for fixing little hair/wig issues at the last second, or for getting tight rings unstuck from fingers!

Gotta second the rubbing-alcohol-as-eraser thing, and add that it also gets white-out spills out of carpet! (You might want to test on a hidden bit of carpet first, though.)

crazychicksj

« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:20 am »
Not sure why I didn't think of this until now... I keep a large metal bottle/can opener on my theatre keys. It's come in handy for prying open traps when the handles aren't attached or break off, as well as for opening stubborn paint cans.

riotous