Author Topic: Random, household things, you use/keep on stage.  (Read 13847 times)

bull

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Random, household things, you use/keep on stage.
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:38 pm »
Well, this thread is more of a tip/trick thread, what random things do you bring on stage, which usually wouldn't be used for, well whatever you use them for.

One thing I keep on stage is Clearasil Face Wipes, they are one of the most convinent things I have with me at all times, they will remove almost anything from skin, be it paint, sharpie, colored hairspray, makeup mishaps... etc. Just the other day, and actor had tried to spray their own hair gray, messed up, and got it all over their ears, and I just wipped out my face wipes and took it right off. They also like to touch wet paint, making the wipes convinent again.

Also, chap stick, now I would never have thought of this, but the other day we were working on stage right before our 6th Performance when I noticed that a chunk of styrofoam had fallen off of the styrofoam columns of a house about 45 seconds before we opened the house (we weren't using a grand drape for this show, our other ASM was standing next to me, and quickly whipped out her chap stick, rubbed it on the styrofoam, and it stuck right back into place. Just a random quick fix, and now one of my favorites.

What kind of things do yall keep on stage with you?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Random, household things, you use/keep on stage.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:14 am »
I didn't know that abt chapstick. Very cool! I wonder if it's true for any lip balm or just Chapstick itself (and wonder what would happen if we wrote the company and told them...).

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:48 am »
Going to go ahead and toss up non-lubricated condoms to get it out of the way, we all know what they're for  ;)

Great topic, let's see what comes up!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bull

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:07 am »
Going to go ahead and toss up non-lubricated condoms to get it out of the way, we all know what they're for  ;)

Ok, maybe I'm ignorant, but I have yet to find a use for non-lubricated condoms, aside from their originally intended use that is. Anybody care to explain because I keep hearing people say that they keep these on hand, and I'm not sure if there is some awesome innane use that I don't know about.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:20 am »
Going to go ahead and toss up non-lubricated condoms to get it out of the way, we all know what they're for  ;)

Ok, maybe I'm ignorant, but I have yet to find a use for non-lubricated condoms, aside from their originally intended use that is. Anybody care to explain because I keep hearing people say that they keep these on hand, and I'm not sure if there is some awesome innane use that I don't know about.

You put them on wireless mic transmitters to add an extra layer of protection from those sweaty actors.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:36 pm »
I'm the only person I know who keeps a large, clean, black t-shirt on hand.  I've found that, if there's a costume catastrophe, it can be used in just about any contemporary play as a substitute.  Also, just this last week, there was a promotional event (in the middle of tech!) that the Apprentice Crew didn't know they were to be in until the last minute.  One of them was wearing all black, coincidentally, but the other was wearing an shirt inappropriate for the event, but just fine for rehearsal.
"Here, will this fit you?" I said as I pulled out the black shirt.
"Yup." 
Sure, he was still wearing red running pants, but it's a Christmas show, and with the black shirt, it worked.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 04:24 pm »
Rubber bands. Always. For hair, for quick fixing, etc.

Paperclips also- besides holding papers together, once you unfold them, they're great for little temp repairs. i've used them to hold pieces of styrofoam together and to hold together a broken zipper.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

bull

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 05:11 pm »
You put them on wireless mic transmitters to add an extra layer of protection from those sweaty actors.

OOK, well I know what I'm gonna go stock up on for my messenger bag kit thing... ;)

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:31 pm »
Chopsticks!  I always take the extra chopsticks from take out and I keep a nicer pair of my own in my bag.  Aside from being an extremely versatile utensil, I've used my scored metal chopsticks (which are really thin) to retrieve objects that have slipped into cracks or the cheap wooden ones (which I keep in their plastic wrappers, so they're still clean) to mix paints or stage drinks that have settled. 

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:17 pm »
Similar to chopsticks (which I like to have handy as well) - a good-sized set of cafeteria tongs are great to have. Wonderful for reaching stuff on a high shelf, rescuing small things from a track or underneath furniture, and un-jamming all sorts of copiers and printers.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:28 am »
Tennis balls plus a little bit of soap and water remove scuff marks better than anything else I've ever seen. 

crazychicksj

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:23 pm »
Extra eraser backs for mechanical pencils. They work great as protection from small sharp objects, when stuck on the end. They're also great for replacing lost earring backs, pin backings, ect at the last minute or until a suitable back can be found.

Bobby pins are also great. I've kept zippers closed, kept a falling hem up, and discretely kept a blouse with a missing button closed with them in the past.

One more... packing tape and brads. I don't know how many last minute prop repairs I've made with these in the past. I've also created barriers between the mouth and straw like objects with tape in the past.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:35 am »
Brads are great - I had a TD crack up when I showed her how to replace broken cufflinks with brads - they even look good close up!

ellopopett

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:08 am »
Back in high school, we did a play where it was raining most of the time and actors that came in from a certain door had to have rain drops on their shoulders. We found that using a kids' sippy cup (the good old kind that still only drips with no stopper). It worked well and gave the perfect amount of water to look like rain.

Katie2014

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:38 pm »
Tampons. Not only are they great to have if one of your female actors (or possibly even yourself!!) gets their monthly gift a little early. They are also very helpful if you have any form of a liquid spill and dont have any paper towels.  :)