Author Topic: Prop cards  (Read 4654 times)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Prop cards
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 09:59 pm »
Here's a trick l learned from a stagehand....I don't use it every time, but on certain shows it can be a big help.

Make a "business card" for each prop. When you are setting up your prop tables during tech, you can tape the card down on the appropriate table. If the prop gets moved from SR to SL at some point during tech, it's really easy to move the prop card over to the other table.

It makes it really easy to glance at the prop table and see what is missing. This could also be used in a venue where more than one group is in the venue each night- easy to pack away and reset each day. I'm planning on using this method on tour for quick and easy prop table setup in a new venue. (I'm going to laminate the cards to make them more re-useable.)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Prop cards
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:12 pm »
What a great idea! I'm definitely going to think about it for my next show.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2015, 12:32 am »
I love this.  I've had an ASM do it this way recently, and it works great.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:21 am »
Maribeth - I've also found using any soft, rollable table cover is good for this, with the added benefit that you can't lose a single card. Once the show is more or less set, you can use any table-sized material (cut up marley, yoga mat, sheet, sturdy plastic tarp) as your prop table map, and just lay it on whatever surface becomes the prop table in the venue of the day. Makes load-out easier, too - just roll or fold the cover, and stash it in the prop roadbox or case, instead of stripping multiple cards from a table.

If prop presets tend to change for each venue, I definitely see the value in cards or individual labels that can move - I always use spike tape labels, and just write them out on the back of my clipboard so I can stick them wherever the preset turns wants to be.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2015, 03:12 pm »
Maribeth - I've also found using any soft, rollable table cover is good for this, with the added benefit that you can't lose a single card.

True- I actually haven't ever used them on a show that had to be completely packed up each night. A table cover would be an excellent alternative in that situation. If you don't have to strike things every night, you can just tape the card down to the table whenever the preset is "set" and tape boxes or whatever your table layout method is.

The other nice thing about the cards is that you can tape them to a wall above a hook, or in "unusual" preset positions that aren't on the table.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:49 pm »
Maribeth - I've also found using any soft, rollable table cover is good for this, with the added benefit that you can't lose a single card.

True- I actually haven't ever used them on a show that had to be completely packed up each night.

When performing in Rep with rolling prop boxes, we cut shelf liner and labeled the 2nd show's prop box layout on that, so that it could lay over our the 1st shows layout (and the 1st show had to pack up all it's props). Using the material for a table cover is helpful, granted that you always get roughly the same sized table. This isn't always the case, either due to what is available or the amount of physical space backstage. The cards sound like a great idea when going on tour when you don't know what you're going to get!

riotous