Author Topic: Casting Form  (Read 2956 times)

LexieTaylor

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alum, UW-Whitewater
  • Current Gig: Former SM/Occasional Freelancer
  • Experience: Professional
Casting Form
« on: Dec 20, 2015, 11:40 am »
Forum Moderators, I'm not sure where to post this one...so feel free to move it for me. =]

I am looking to help our artistic staff out with preventing double casting with a new form.
I worked with a stage manager once who had a casting sheet that when you typed in a performer's name for a second time in one column, it would highlight the name. I am not sure how to do this.
Does anyone know how or have a form that I could use as a template to make one for myself?
Thank you in advance!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Casting Form
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:43 pm »
I can tell you how to do this is Open Office...I'm guessing it's very similar in Excel. You can use conditional formatting.

Highlight the cells you want to apply this to. Go to the Format menu on the top bar and select "Conditional Formatting."

Make the condition "Formula is" and fill in the field with "COUNTIF(A$1:A$11;A1)>1". Then, before you close the window, select the style you want the cell to be if there's a repeat- highlighted red, a box around the cell, a big X through the cell, etc. Then click "Okay". 

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2015, 02:21 am »
What software program?

In Excel this is an easy task to accomplish using conditional formatting.  Create a conditional formatting rule to highlight duplicate values.  You'll need to do a duplicate value based on the entire name, not just first or last, as it's possible and likely you'll have cast members with the same first or last name. 

I've attached a sample cast list that has formatting rules based on first and last names.  This is a ridiculous example of Smiths and Jones, but the purpose is to illustrate the formatting rules.  Duplicate first names will not be highlighted, duplicate last names will not be highlighted.  Only duplicate full names.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

LexieTaylor

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alum, UW-Whitewater
  • Current Gig: Former SM/Occasional Freelancer
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:48 am »
Thank you, both. This is great.  :)