Author Topic: iRFR App  (Read 3965 times)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
iRFR App
« on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:07 pm »
Anyone used this app? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irfr-bts/id318210456?mt=8

The theatre I'm working at has it running on an iPad at the SM desk. It connects wirelessly to the light board and keeps a cue list running in front of you at the desk. You can see cues execute in real time and see what cue you're in currently. I think you can also use it to run a channel check or otherwise remote in to a board.

The only downside I've noticed is that it can, at time, lag a half-second to a second behind the live cue, letting you think a cue hasn't started when it actually has.

Not an app I would buy on my own (more geared toward a company's use than an individual's), but it's nice to be able to see how the cues are timing out as they run. And, very easy to check and make sure you are in the right cue if there's ever an issue.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
Re: iRFR App
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:36 pm »
Interesting - and first I have seen this app.  I haven't used it personally but would also be interested to hear from other users out there who have.  At that price tag I would expect them to continually update the app and offer new features, and would also expect them to eliminate any delays in communication between the console and mobile device.

I'm curious if this price tag will be prohibitive for ETC to roll out the app to end users and dealers, especially considering if you're in need of this app you've already made the investment of buying a console from ETC.  The only apps I'm able to find by ETC that are free seem to be those to further their sales efforts (product data sheets, brochures, etc...). 

Charging for this app seems to buck the current industry trend as MA Lighting, Martin Professional, Yamaha, Soundcraft, QSC, and others all offer free mobile apps for their lighting and audio control products. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2013, 01:37 pm »
A community theatre I design at got an ETC Element light board, ETC dimmers and ETC lighting units a few years ago.  Included with the purchase was an ipod with the ETC app.  I've found it handy for working on stage to bring up channels for focusing/fixing notes and looking at groups.  Haven't had the opportunity to follow cues with it as I'm usually in the booth through dress rehearsals (instructing the board op how to program the board).  The SM's at this theatre don't call shows and wouldn't have a need to follow cues on a device (at the present time).  But the company does own it should the need arise.  Don't know what the cost was as it was bundled in with the lighting package.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2013, 04:10 pm »
A community theatre I design at got an ETC Element light board, ETC dimmers and ETC lighting units a few years ago.  Included with the purchase was an ipod with the ETC app. 

Just had a look through ETC's dealer price sheet and I can confirm that the neither the iRFR app nor any added hardware (e.g. iPod) are included from the factory.  It's likely that the dealer the theater purchased the console from added this in.  A great idea by that dealer, but an added cost to the end user nonetheless. 

Reading their price sheet it does seem that the proceeds for the app are donated to either "Behind the Scenes" or "Light Relief" - so that's good at least.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2013, 12:04 am »
I have seen this in use at two theatres now.  Mostly I've seen it used for channel check.  It seems to be replacing the device specific RFUs.

It did come in handy during one performance though, where we had a spot op out, so the light board op was subbing on spot and someone new to the show was subbing on the board.  We had a practical that was flickering, and it was easier for the LBO on spot to park it out from the ipod than talk the inexperienced sub through doing it on the board. 

I occasionally like to see the monitor with the cue list in my periphery, if I'm calling in the booth with the LBO, but I don't know that I'd want another screen right in front of me in a booth situation (perhaps calling from backstage though).

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2013, 12:05 am »
In addition to stage managing, I am also a lighting designer and electrician.  While I use the Android version of the app (my phone is Android), it works the exact same as the iphone/ipad/ipod version.   

The history (at least as I have heard) of the app is that one of the programmers for the new ETC line of consoles was bored at home one night and decided to write the app for iphone.  He brought it into ETC and they loved the idea, but didn't want to spend time/resources actively supporting the app.  However, they wanted to make it available to people in the industry so they released it.  The relatively large price tag seems outrageous, but 100% of that price is donated to one of 2 charities devoted to helping disabled stagehands. (one charity is USA based, the other is canada based).   

As for the app itself, it does replace the physical RFU that ETC sells (and actually it works much better).   From the app, you can access nearly every function available on the actual lightboard.   So, its helpful for focus, channel check, focusing moving lights, etc.  I have not made use of it as a stage manager, but the cue list function could definitely be helpful so you can keep track of where the lightboard is in the cue stack. 

If you are interested in more info, please let me know and I will help as much as I can!