Author Topic: Online Stage Management Software  (Read 11470 times)

swallis

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Online Stage Management Software
« on: Sep 04, 2008, 04:16 am »
Entire post deleted.

-kmc307
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009, 09:44 pm by kmc307 »

johnB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Online Stage Management Software
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008, 02:46 pm »
Looks pretty interesting, I guess. It seems really expensive and it doesn't really offer stage managers (from what I can tell) the option to customize the look of some documents. Stage management is such a personal thing that while it may be good for some tasks, espcially all the great social networking and communications features, it might not necessarily be everyone's cup of tea when it comes to form processing and stuff like that.

It's kind of like [link deleted by moderator] too, which is another great program.
John B.

swallis

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2008, 05:25 am »
The system keeps in mind that SM's are a little crazy about how reports look and allows for flexibility in that there are 1-5 formats for each report and all reports are downloaded excel files. This is great because once generated and downloaded you can do anything you want with them. These types of systems go way beyond report generation, colors, and borders and into innovative, electronic (green), efficient, and centralized communication.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2008, 11:10 am »
I think the biggest stumbling block for me with this service is what do I, the stage manager, actually gain from this service? 

A powerful and simple stage management tool
Until now, stage managers, directors, and venues have had to rely
on photocopied calendars and handwritten forms. Even the most
technically advanced theatre groups depend on numerous different
programs: word processors, databases, and spreadsheets to produce
schedules and forms with unreliable results. Now you can benefit from
Virtual Stage Management (VSM), a personal, interactive website that
combines show management, artist accessibility and social networking
in one powerful, simple, and user-friendly online application. Now,
managers can supervise the action of a production while artists receive
and interact with up-to-date information. Information is incredibly easy
to update and access. You can store unlimited information on cast,
crew, and staff to create a valuable resource. By eliminating a majority
of the time spent producing paperwork, artistic staff members are free
to manage more important aspects of the arts: good communication
and leadership while supervising your production.

I gather from the above blurb from [link deleted by moderator] that a subscriber is essentially paying for a few rough paperwork templates, online storage and a calendar application.  Every stage manager I know has already got enough paperwork to get the job done.  The type of paperwork and level of detail will vary between Stage Managers and between individual productions.  I imagine it would actually take longer to customize the downloaded files than it would to just create your own.  The calendar application could certainly be useful, but google calendar has been out for a couple of years now and is a completely free service that can be shared with anyone.  Finally, updating or accessing your latest information is going to require an easy and reliable internet connection, which does not exist in every rehearsal studio and performance space the average SM will visit through the course of a production.  Add to all of this that the product is likely beyond the price range of most theatres and we've got, in my opinion, a product that simply is not viable for the vast majority of professional stage managers. 

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SM.Robert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2008, 09:19 pm »
Got an email from MTI with a link to their new online stage management software program... I watched the video... Pretty cool except for the $500 a year pricetag! [link deleted by moderator]

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009, 09:43 pm by kmc307 »

Johnson Smith

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:20 pm »
We just used the Virtual Stage Management website for the first time in our last production of the season, Thoroughly Modern Millie. We wanted to try it out on a single show before committing to paying for a full year. After spending some time with this system, I can offer my insight as to what advantages we gained. First, I'd like to say that we will be signing up to use this system again. It saved us so much time and I can't really believe that we were generating so much unnecessary paperwork before. The site really forces you to change your perspective on how to schedule and commincate during your show as you don't need to post calendars for your cast or notes or pretty much anything else. After you break down your show (Millie was actually already broken down because they have done most MTI musicals and have a library of other shows including straight plays), you assign cast members and technicians to positions in your production. This was the most time consuming part of the process, but by the end, I had basically created my Character/Scene breakdown which I had to do anyway. After that, scheduling was a breeze! You create an event and then just say who you want at the event (which could be as simple as "everyone in Act I, Scene I"). since you have broken down the show in the system. It knows which cast members to call to the event! And more importantly, that event only shows up on the calendar for those cast members. The magic of this system (as opposed to Google calendars mentioned above) is that each cast member has their own calendar that is specific to them. They only see the events that THEY are called to, not every event scheduled. I can also send out Daily Schedule emails and text messages to every cast member by clicking a single button and every email and text message is individualized for that person with just THEIR scheduled information. You couldn't even come close to doing that sort of thing with Google calendars! Last minute changes were also a breeze for us. We had a situation where a rehearsal location was changed about an hour before it started because of a conflict with another group. My ASM was able to send emails and instant text messages to everyone called to that rehearsal in about 20 seconds by updating the event information. Using our old phone tree system, we would have been on the phone for over an hour trying to reach everyone. There were so many other ways this system made my team more efficient and helped us communicate more effectively with our cast and crew that I can't even begin to mention. As a stage manager, I think paperwork is an important part of our jobs, but I also think it is time for us to embrace new technology that may, in some ways, do away with the paperwork that often defines us. I am so much less concerned with how my Excel spreadsheets look now, than I was before. We are managers first and good communicators, not paper-pushers. I can't wait until our next season starts to use this system again. Maybe next time we can be nearly paperless, except for the scripts...
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009, 07:23 pm by Johnson Smith »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:03 pm »
Sock puppets? Really? I expected better of an MTI subsidiary project.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:42 pm »
Okay folks.  Since this thread has started we've had more than our share of really shameful advertisements from folks obviously either with MTI, or who benefit in some direct way by advertising MTI's product. (Joining SMNet and their first and only post singing praises of a subscription-based product.)

This thread is locked and will die a not-so-noble death.  Also, all links to any subscription-based software have been deleted.

We're happy to entertain discussion on the merits of online stage management software as it's certainly a tool that could be useful to some.  Moving forward, however, all discussions on this topic will need to take a broader point of view and will be very heavily moderated.  Normally this is not how we like to do things, but it's become clear that to foster and encourage objective discussion and debate that this sort of topic will need to be watched a bit more closely than others.

Cheers,

Kevin.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009, 10:11 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt