Author Topic: Micing a Baby grand piano and a choir...  (Read 5503 times)

Oobleck1441

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Micing a Baby grand piano and a choir...
« on: Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 pm »
Hello,
   Not sure if this is where I would psot this.. theres really no where else adn Im not sure if anyone has any background in this field..

now to my current problem for whoever can help!

I was approached by the music director just the other day and was asked about recording our "Senior Send Off" music.

This music would include our whole high school chior of about 200 students and a baby grand piano for obvious reasons.

I have knowledge in recording everything EXCEPT Pianos and chiors. I know, kind of hard to believe.I know how to run our system and everything but my major problem here is mic placement and in what set-up...

Any input would be helpful. I have all the mic's and equipment I need so hardware is no big deal. Just the ideas can't flow on my end. 

I would be happy to answer any questions that come up..

Thanks again.. I know I was very vague and wuick but I have alot going on now and this is comming up very fast.. thanks again

Ohh forgot to add.. We would be recording this in our 350 seat auditorium

Thanks again!

Oobleck1441

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Mikin a Baby grand piano adn a choir...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:24 pm »
I recommend you post your question at controlbooth.com.  Its a great site with lots of knowledgable tech-folk in every field - including sound.  I posted a question and got multiple relies within an hour or so.

-Beatr79

LisaEllis

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 11:48 pm »
A couple of things I've seen/know some about that might be helpful...

2 or more overhead hanging mics and a mic on a stand into the piano (playing 1/2 stick or full?)

AND/OR

Multiple Mics on small stands along the front of the stage

I can't spec equipment, but it sounds like you know what you have...good luck!

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:33 am »
For recording, you need to Mic a piano from a decent distance - otherwise it will not sound natural. Open the lid, and mic from about 3-8 feet away from the opening - I would use two omni-condenser mics spaced evenly apart. It is different compared to when you are micing for re-enforcement (ie mics within the piano on the sound board) - as the re-enforced sound is not true piano... Have a play, and you will probably see what I mean.

For the choir, cardioid or super-cardioid pattern condenser mics - if possible, I would use hanging choir mics -  200 piece choir, you would probably want 6 - and I would separate the mics based on the sections the choir is divided into.

As with all recordings, you will want to deaden the space - don't fall for the "We are a choir, our sound requires the spaces reverberation" line - keep the space dead and add the reverb post-record - that means you will need to provide monitor mixes - again, provide a mix for each choral section, one for keys and one for the conductor.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:08 am »
I might be easier to record close mic instead of ambient with the piano to avoid spill from the choir. If you you have any leads in the choir, use super cardiod patterned mics to highlight them, and use cardiods nad maybe even omni's to pick up the rest of the choir. i would use one mic directly infront of each section of the choir (bass, tenor...) and then a few overhead mics maybe 2 or three to capture an overall sound. I use cool edit (now adobe audition) and ableton live, but any of those type of softwares will do. Add reverb to he piano if you go close mic it, and enhancement will probably be needed will the choir, and some EQ tweaking depending on wether the choir is top heavy (lots of soprano).

riotous