Author Topic: Legal ramifications with cell phone jamming.  (Read 7436 times)

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
Legal ramifications with cell phone jamming.
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:02 pm »
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

It blocks cell phone signals in about a 10'-40' radius and could easily solve problems in theaters.

Moderator note:  edited subject line for clarity - kmc307
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2009, 01:25 pm by kmc307 »

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Legal ramifications with cell phone jamming.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:08 pm »
The first legal issue you'd encounter is that it is illegal to interfere with telecommunications signals.  Another issue is you could end up being liable if you jammed the cell phone of someone trying to call 911 for an emergency, or prevented a surgeon from receiving an urgent call that s/he needs to perform a life saving operation, etc etc.  So yeah ... not a good plan.

What sort of issues are you having in your theatre that you think cell phone signals are responsible for?

Moderator note:  edited subject line for clarity - kmc307
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2009, 01:24 pm by kmc307 »

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:13 pm »
Moderator note -

I had originally locked this topic as I don't feel it's entirely prudent to give legal advice if we're less than qualified to do so.  However after some thought I've decided to let it fly.  Please know, though, that anyone undertaking this type of project should check with local/state/federal authorities or certified legal counsel about potential legal ramifications.

I've also modified the subject line for the sake of clarity.

Cheers all, happy posting!
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2009, 01:24 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:51 pm »
That works kmc.  I was just curious if anyone else had considered something like this or had seen it used in theatres.  I've heard of it used in movie theatres and other theatres but those may just be rumors.

The issues that we encounter are the same for any theatre, idiots that forget to turn their phones off or at least to vibrate during a performance thereby interrupting the performance.

For all intents and purposes, the person would just have a No Signal display on their phone.  There are dead zones everywhere for every provider so it would probably go unnoticed.

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 02:08 pm »
The issues that we encounter are the same for any theatre, idiots that forget to turn their phones off or at least to vibrate during a performance thereby interrupting the performance.
Someone told me about once about a theatre that has a very creative welcome message.  After the standard please turn off your phones bit, the voice continued and said something to the effect of, "I know you think your phone is off, but you should really check.  What if you forgot?  You don't want to be the person who's phone rings in the middle of the performance do you?  That would be sooo embarrassing!"  Not quite as professional or formal as I'm sure we're all used to, but apparently very effective.

For all intents and purposes, the person would just have a No Signal display on their phone.  There are dead zones everywhere for every provider so it would probably go unnoticed.
Probably, but is it worth risking a six-figure fine from the FCC?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 03:13 pm »
There are some buildings that are constructed with materials to block cell phone reception - sometimes for security purposes.

For a legal standpoint, you might want to check with a lawyer, but it would be nice to have the theatre being a cell phone free zone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:18 pm »
I wish there was some legal way to block signals just inside the audience and backstage areas of a theatre. The lobby is fine and all and as for doctors on call there is always the solution of having the house manager hold the phone in case there is a call.

I can not count the number of people I have seen rudely texting in the middle of a performance or cell phones that accidently go off mid-performance. And I don't think "silent" or "vibrate" is acceptable because those settings can be obnoxious and distracting as well. When the screens light up with a call or text everyone sees a little ball of light and it can take the audience out of the moment. Plus "vibrate" still makes a very noticeable noise.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:36 am »
I wish there was some legal way to block signals just inside the audience and backstage areas of a theatre.
If you have several million extra dollars laying about one could have a Faraday cage built.
But that's approaching the nonsense dollars budget expectation.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Libby

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:32 pm »
Despite the legal ramifications I am not sure this would be the way to go. Cellphones have become a backup com system, also if there is an emergency not all theatre have hardwired phones close by.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:46 am »
Despite the legal ramifications I am not sure this would be the way to go. Cellphones have become a backup com system, also if there is an emergency not all theatre have hardwired phones close by.

Maybe not, but I know there is a landline in my booth in case of emergencies.

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:06 am »
I've realized recently that every corner of my theatre has metal in it that in the winter is constantly shocking me from the dry air.  However, it has got me to thinking...if all the walls have metal, maybe I should just put some current through them during a show... an "accidental" faraday cage

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 02:51 pm »
A guy in my dorm in school had one of these we found out (he later had it confiscated) it didn't actually keep people from getting calls, it just made voiced fuzzy and digitized.  Made me really mad because he lived next door to me and I was in a long distance relationship.  Luckily they caught him like 3 days after I noticed the reception problems.

So even if it was legal, and you had a phone for emergencies, it wouldn't work that well.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:39 am »
I thought those in the US might find this article relevant. It pertains to cell phone jamming in jails, and I imagine that CTIA would fight equally hard to prevent it in theaters.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20090107/WIRELESS/901079987/1103/newsletter32

riotous