Author Topic: latest toys...  (Read 52457 times)

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
latest toys...
« on: Jul 15, 2005, 05:26 pm »
1- mini sharpies!  They're like key chain sized.  I keep one clipped onto my lanyard/id badge and another on the zipper of my bag.

2- highlighter/post if flag dispenser!  It's a highlighter with post if flags in the side.  Genius!!
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007, 06:38 am by Mac Calder »

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
latest toyes...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2005, 05:34 pm »
OH... I meant to post this under the stage managment toys...er.. tools post. Hmm.. I wonder if I can move it...

sheriff

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
mini sharpies
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2005, 11:57 pm »
I was at Office Depo today picking up some supplies for rehearsal and I saw the mini sharpies and I was so excited!  Like I almost started jumping up and down!  

Just wanted to share.

~amanda

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
latest toyes...
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2005, 02:06 am »
Haha... amusingly enough, the exact same thing happened to me the other day... except it was Staples!
I attached it to my clipboard by bending a paper clip and now I use it for preshow checklists in a sheet protector.
Anyhow, it was exciting for me too. :-)

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
latest toyes...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2005, 08:57 am »
I am thinking that addiction to stationary stores is genetic - my grandfather owned a stationary store, my mum enjoys stationary and to quote my father  I go "Totaly orgasmic when the latest stationary catalogue comes in the mail"... Personally I don't think I am that bad... I just used to disapear into my room for half a day when it came and the catalogue comes out with loads of black ink highlighting everything I want/like in there. Getting me out of a stationary superstore is really hard too... but I wont get into that.

As for my loves Sharpies, Jumbo Sharpies, Mini Sharpies (I have a whole sharpie family), folders, section dividers and stickers.

Excuse me, I have an appointment with a 600 page stationary catalogue

Michael

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
latest toyes...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:30 pm »
I couldn't help it.

I was shopping for binders and pencils and assorted stuff for my new show and I... yes, I bought a mini-Sharpie. Black.

I've attached it to my bad with a keychain ring.

See, the thing, is, I don't use Sharpies all that much, but when you need one, it's very handy to have one right there at hand.

Alice_S

• New to Town
    • View Profile
latest toyes...
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:27 pm »
I'm sheepishly admitting my (borderline unnatural) love of shrunken office supplies as well... Personally I couldn't live without my:

1. Mini stapler on a carabiner.

2. Pen on a retractable string, also attached to a carabiner. If every other pen walks away during the course of the production...that pen won't.  :D

casper

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
latest toyes...
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2005, 02:36 pm »
I found mini scotch tape at Office Depot.  They come in a pack of 4 in assorted colors.  They are the size of a quarter.  soooo cute!!

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
latest toyes...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2005, 08:55 am »
Okay, so pardon my Australian ignorance, what exactly IS a sharpie?
ChaCha

Michael

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
latest toyes...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2005, 10:53 am »
Sharpies are a brand of permanent marker. They come in a waide variety of colors (or colours) and point shapes and sizes, and now they come in miniature, too!

www.sharpie.com

is their website -- and there is an excellent little video clip about the making of a Sharpie.

Mac Calder

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
latest toyes...
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2005, 09:16 am »
Quote from: "ChaCha"
Okay, so pardon my Australian ignorance, what exactly IS a sharpie?

Ummm... Most aussies know what a sharpie is - I am an aussy. At least the newer generation does. My grandmother even knows what a sharpie is... although it may have been I asked her if she "Had a sharpie I could use" (not good when she is a diabetic... at first she thought I wanted a needle for drugs or something ::rolleyes::), after a few minutes explaining, then going out and buying one, showing it to her, she loves them too now. Bloody useful things. Only markers I trust on my CD's.

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
Re: latest toyes...
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2006, 07:26 am »
I absolutely love office supply stores. I was talking with a fellow SM two days ago, and she and I, both broke college students, have agreed to help each other by keeping the other away from such places unless necessary. ;)
Derek A. Fuzzell

Mac Calder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2006, 07:42 am »
ROFL... That comment just gave me a weird mental image of a group of family and friends springing an intervention on me regarding my love of stationary... "We all love you Mac, and it is killing us seeing you waste away infront of that pen shelf." ... Sick and twisted....

I got a "staple-less stapler" as a present the other day... Now they are rubish... However I also got a comb binder the other day... now that was something I had been lusting over for a while - I am imagining lovely compiled "Actor information packages"... anyway, that is my (to me) exciting new toy of the month...

p.s. (for those who don't know what a comb binder is, it punches the holes and stretches the combs out to bind a document with these)

Down2life

• New to Town
  • The true talent on set
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT SETC J.S.U.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:28 am »
Not a bid\g fan of the mini sharpies. The cap seems to lossen over time and then my sharpie is gone and as a stage manager and also a general technician (carpentry,lighting,sound) I cant afford to lose my sharpies. But as far as stationary goes I will wonder aimlessly for hours in office stores. I am still on the hunt for the perfect prompt book. I don't think it exists but I am trying to find it.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:38 am »
I am still on the hunt for the perfect prompt book. I don't think it exists but I am trying to find it.

Assuming you are referring to the binder for your prompt book, I found my perfect one at Staples.  It's a 3 inch binder with locking rings.  It has clear pockets on the front, sides, and back, so I can slip a cover page on the front, a label on the side, and the show calendar on the back for quick reference.  Inside, it has two pockets on the front and back cover.  And because the rings are actually on the back cover, there are two mini pockets on the spine that are perfect for keeping my 6" ruler and a couple extra wallet cards.  This also means that the book will always lay flat instead of closing up on you if you have too much paper on one side. 

Happy hunting!