Author Topic: Laminators  (Read 4897 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Laminators
« on: Aug 19, 2014, 11:02 pm »
These deals came across my email . . .

Neither of these are my current model, but I have a a very similar model.  I think given Stage Managers don't use it on a daily basis . . . having a more light duty model will do.  You can see they quickly go up in price, and can be very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-Roller-TL901/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1408503631&sr=1-1&keywords=laminator+machine

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-PL9-US-Thermal-Laminator/dp/B00BUI5QWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1408503631&sr=1-2&keywords=laminator+machine
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Laminators
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2014, 04:48 am »
What situations do you find merit having a laminator available?

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2014, 05:22 am »
The best thing about laminators - if you use the high-gloss pouches, you can write on them in whiteboard marker then erase afterwards - so those repetitive check lists etc you can buy OHP dry-erase markers (which are a nice fine line) and fill it in - then when you need to re-write it, give it a wipe and start again. I use them a lot for log sheets on equipment - for example I like to write the projector lamp hours on the case when it is packed down. Same with some of our rigging - I like to do a thorough visual inspection after every 10 uses - so I have a sheet in the rigging locker and we just do a /\ each use - and when it gets to 10, I do a logged visual inspection.

I also use it for durability - any cases that I fill with things I like to laminate a label for detailing contents.

Can I live without it? Sure... but for $20 I bought a really cheap (and small) one - it does come in handy.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2014, 10:29 am »
I like to laminate wallet cards, if possible. There are self-laminating sheets that let you "laminate" without a laminator, so if I'm working at a theatre that doesn't have one, I'll use that. (Haven't made the investment, myself).

Often I'll laminate the "Rehearsal in Progress" sign on the rehearsal room door, and write the span of day and expected time of the next break in whiteboard marker. I've found that there are fewer rehearsal interruptions when people know when we are going to break, and they can come talk to me or the director.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2014, 12:42 pm »
I laminate everything.

Wallet Cards
Signage  (Rehearsal in Progress, Call board Headers, backstage signage . . .)
Checklists

Especially good if doing an outdoor show.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2014, 06:16 pm »
It's also great for signage on tour. You can tape it to walls, thumbtack it to a callboard, etc. and then you can take it with you when you leave the venue and move to the next.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2014, 06:41 pm »
It's also great for signage on tour. You can tape it to walls, thumbtack it to a callboard, etc. and then you can take it with you when you leave the venue and move to the next.

Ah yes, including the ubiquitous directional arrows. "Stage Left" with an arrow that you can point in the direction of stage left. An arrow in the elevator telling you what floor the dressing rooms, warmup rooms, stage, etc are on.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2014, 06:44 pm »
I also use them to make music stand numbers for readings.  (2 sets, one actors can see, one me and the director can see)

I also have made luggage tags as opening night gifts for a tour

freakofmusic

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:37 pm »
What situations do you find merit having a laminator available?

I agree in the sense of needing to purchase a laminator. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the point of having to do that much laminating, or maybe because I mostly tour, but I usually just use the self-laminating pouches that are basically just a big sticky pouch.  Or if I want them higher quality I just pay Fedex or Staples to do it.  Much faster and I don't have to carry around a laminator and sheets etc.

riotous