Author Topic: Kit Containment  (Read 5723 times)

AndyS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Suppliant Women (Æschylus) - United Players
  • Experience: Professional
Kit Containment
« on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:05 pm »
What do you all use to carry your kit gear?

I've been using an old-lady grocery cart with my various boxes (sewing kit, tool kit, med kit, stationary kit, &c.) stacked inside, but I have friends who use fishing tackle boxes, construction-site toolboxes, hotel housekeeping carts, &c., and recently I've been very interested in those larger rolling cosmetic train cases.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: Kit Containment
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:35 am »
     After years of fussing with tackle-boxes and the like, and a few months of fruitless search for something that was exactly what I wanted, I finally just built my own kit. I put a little hardware drawer thing on one end (for all the little bits & bobs), three large pockets on the other end for larger objects (first aid kit, spare T shirts, pencil bags etc.), and elastic down both sides to hold long thin objects (scale rule, three hole punch, as shown).
     It's a smidge heavy, but holds exactly what I need in ways that are super easy to access. It's even broad enough to tuck my three ring binders on top, between the carry straps, when moving to different spaces.
     I heartily recommend sitting down and thinking about exactly how you want to use your kit, and trying to find a container that fits those qualifications. And if you can't find it, build it! (or make friendly with your TD and beg them to build it!)
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

AndyS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Suppliant Women (Æschylus) - United Players
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:11 am »
That is fantastic. Damn, I'm going to start drawing up plans for mine - I'm a kit-heavy SM, so this will be fun. Thanks!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2018, 12:10 am »
I'm happily at the stage of my career where I don't carry big kits of my own any more, and work to help each theatre create their own. (Last one had its own large road case.) That said, I now have a fantastic multi-zippered notions bag given to me by another stage manager, which holds just the items I want for myself.

In college, I did have a folding rolling cart, and two toolboxes stacked on top of it, then moved to a tackle box before abandoning it all.

BrandiShook

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:57 am »
I use a Stanley Rolling tool kit. I keep my most important stuff that I always need in the top, removable tool box, then I put everything else in the bottom, rolling part so I don’t have to bring the whole thing if I don’t need to.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-STST18612W-2-IN-1-Mobile-Work-Center-Plus-Flat-Top/26524588