Author Topic: Kit Container  (Read 21490 times)

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Kit Container
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2006, 01:13 pm »
I'm planning t get an "art bin" I need something small that I can carry on the subway, and these things have a lot of small compartments. It's the same ideas as the tackle box. I want to find wheels to put it on though

jalooz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Kit Container
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:40 pm »
I am new to stage managing, in the small community theater setting.  When I was told by experienced stage managers that I should have a kit, I started looking for an appropriate container.

I found a Spider brand tackle box, about the size of those portable files.  The top is a lidded divided clear plastic container which has its own handle and can be removed from the main box.  I use this for my first aid supplies.  Inside the box proper were 4 divided, lidded clear plastic containers that stood on their sides.  I use one for costume repair supplies and one for office supplies.  I removed the remaining two boxes which left me space for my bigger items such as gaff tape, glue gun, vice grip, etc.  The whole box has a shoulder strap and while it is a little heavy, is easily managed.

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Road Cases for a kit?
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2008, 12:18 pm »
So, SM degree, but working professionally outside of theatre, doing community type theatre.  My collection of things...Kit, drill, 1st aid bag, tool bag, etc, is getting a bit rediculous.  I end up carrying 7 or 8 different bags into a given venue before long.  So, has anyone come up with a better solution.  I have seen nice roadcases used, but can't find a source for something that would work-lots of drawers of varying sizes, moderatly trasportable (pickup truck), under the price of a new car, etc.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Road Cases for a kit?
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2008, 01:40 pm »
Hmm, I have to say that I'm finding the amount of stuff you carry around to be, well, perhaps more than you need to.  If you are carrying a roadcase around as your kit, I think you need to prioritize your kit and consider scaling back.  I know we all want to be prepared for everything, and in a community theater situation you quite frequently end up doing more than your fair share, but a road case is, as you pointed out, a little ridiculous.  The company does need to provide it's own supplies, and the financial burden should not fall on you to provide to the extent that it seems you are providing.  I know its hard, but try to scale everything back to something like a fishing tackle box (now you can get a really big one . . .).  Chances are if it doesn't fit in there, you really don't need to be lugging it around with you.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2008, 02:14 pm »
If you have so much stuff, it's probably best to get it custom made.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2008, 02:32 pm »
Yeah, I know I have too much stuff.  The joy of this theatre is I went from volunteer to SM (without the title)/TD/Prop Master/wardrobe.  The different bags are bits for each job. (plus minor construction for actor safety that I just honestly prefer using my own tools for, as they are not scattered around in questionable maintainance states).  Still managing not to go far into my own expendables, as their budget at least goes that far.

I am somewhat thinking just a way to keep it all organized, even if it is at home.  Small apartment and several moves led to a hunt to figure out where I put things.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:19 pm »
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2008, 10:33 am »
If you truly need something that big to hold that many things you could buy a nice tool box, or you could build a road box similar to what a lot of touring shows use.  This would be basically a cabinet on wheels and you can design and build it for your exact needs. 

Trimming the items you carry with you has been mentioned.  I know sometimes in community theatre people wear many hats and wind up doing more than one job.  If you can trim down though, I know a lot of people use fishing tackle boxes .
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:05 pm »
I use a fishing tackle box, and can fit an astounding amount in there, including a first aid kit.  I love it.  My other concession to practicality is a Leatherman on my belt, and a led white/red light flashlight in my pocket.  With these supplies, I manage most emergencies handily.
Admitedly, the tacklebox is a bit bulky and heavy, and would be REALLY awkward if I had to ride a subway with it every day, for example.  But, I usually just stash it someplace out of the way and leave it in the theatre for the duration.
My advice would be, if it's possible in your situation, to let various departments (scenic, costumes, props, etc.) provide tools and supplies that are their responsibility, and focus on bringing the things you need that might not necesasrily be lying around but can be handy in an emergency.
I own my own drill and love my drill, but I'd never consider brining it to the theatre if I was stage managing.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:01 am »
Have you looked at the Craftman brand boxes that are made for auto mechanics?  They are usually red enamel coated metal, come in a million sizes, frequently on castors, and have handles.  If you can't scale down (which I think we would all recommend), they might be what you are looking for.  Craftman is a Sears brand, but you can probably also find them online.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Srlaupan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:47 pm »
You should check out scrapbook storage cases. My mom and I have scrapbooked for years and we've accumulated so many different cases and storage solutions because we'd go to "crops" so we'd have to bring all our stuff along. But now we've situated all of our stuff into a room of the house so all of the cases are empty and at my disposal. There's ones that are just larger bags and there are also rolling cases. What's nice is that all of them have really nifty organizational dividers and pockets and such. I recommend these cuz there a little less awkward than fishing tackle boxes, more like luggage almost. And you can probably find some for pretty cheap on ebay or something.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:45 pm »
Maybe you could get a few mid-size tool or tackle boxes, and a light weight hand truck, then stack your boxes on the truck (maybe strapped down) and use that.  There are also rolling tool boxes that are only a couple feet high and might work.  Maybe a rolling suitcase for the stuff you keep in bags?
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:26 am »
You should take a look at these cases.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Case_products_page.asp

I really like these, although a bit pricey.
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:46 am »
You should take a look at these cases.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Case_products_page.asp

I really like these, although a bit pricey.
The price is comparable to what I've seen on the market lately.
EWI cases are the cheapest cases worth buying.

A mid grade equivalent from a major company could run upwards of $600.
http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prod.php?p=RRD12UC

EDIT: Altered phrasing to removed personal attack - PSMK
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2008, 03:31 am by PSMKay »
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ