Author Topic: Useful iPad apps  (Read 31219 times)

Delbert

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Useful iPad apps
« on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:43 pm »
I will be teaching a college Stage Management course next year (Spring 2012) that will focus on how to use an iPad as an SM productivity tool.  I will "checkout" am iPad (loaded with apps) to each student for the semester.  I am looking at iAnnotate as a tool for noting cues in a script, a stopwatch app, and a ToDo List apps for checking off tasks. I want to find a good app for quickly creating rehearsal and production reports.  I am also planning to develop several apps that will allow the SM and others on the production team enter data into an online database (with web apps using PHP and MySQL database) that can be accessed via the web browser.  I am thinking that one for listing and tracking the props (on order, being built, ready to use, etc) might be helpful.  I am interested in hear from any SM that uses an iPad and has apps that they like, or even from anyone who has an idea for an app that they think would be useful.  The class is more than nine months off and still in development, so I would love to get ideas from anyone on this list.  Thanks.

-Delbert

Moderator note: edited subject to match similar iPhone app thread. -kmc307
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2013, 03:11 pm by kmc307 »

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: iPads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2011, 07:07 pm »
Have a look at ShowTool SM - it's very useful for tracking props

Chris

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2011, 08:53 pm »
I use GContact Lite which basically allow you to create groups within your contacts app (included with ipad). It acts as a king of contact sheet on the go. I just realized I don't know how to mass text or email within these groups, although I know there are contacts programs that have that feature making it work as a distribution list.

As for a program I would love to see created, thus far when you create a prompt script you have to develop it on another computer and then download it to the ipad with a pdf reader. I would love to just download a pdf of the script and have a basic program that allow me to highlight a word, draw a line to the side and type in the cue information. I haven't heard of a good pdf editor like that, but if anyone knows of a good one please let me know!

Other tools I use:
iBooks (I download all of my paperwork as pdf files to keep on hand; works great with general schedules and contact sheets),
PaperPhobic (a receipt tracker which is great for independent contractors to keep handy proof of purchase both for reimbursement and tax purposes),
DrawCast (comes in handy when you need to sketch out an idea like the layout of a prop table or set-up of a room),
First Aid Lite (always nice to have the basics on hand in case of an emergency),
Anxiety Free (a relaxation app that is good to put on in the background when someone is extremely stressed; I use it before rehearsals and people join me in getting relaxed; tons of apps like these exist),
Pages/Numbers ($10 ea, but best for word processing; I take my rehearsal notes and fill in my daily schedule on these and then email them to myself within the program to print them off on another computer),
AutoCAD WS (mainly since I'm learning autoCAD, but if a designer uses it you can keep the groundplan on hand for taping or general inquires),
PDFReaderLite (a basic free pdf reader program, although you should be able to keep them in iBooks, having a dedicated program may come in handy)
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2011, 10:49 am »
I don't know if this works on the iPad but it does on the iPhone, so I assume, but the Scene Partner app is a cool new thing I saw at this year's SETC it's an exciting tool I would like to use, but I don't have an iPhone might be a reason to get one though.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:06 am »
I don't know if this works on the iPad but it does on the iPhone, so I assume, but the Scene Partner app is a cool new thing I saw at this year's SETC it's an exciting tool I would like to use, but I don't have an iPhone might be a reason to get one though.
For the most part, iPhone apps work on the iPad but it will render in the iPhone screen size. You can click a "x2" button and expand it, but it will get all pixilated.

I just got an iPad this week so I haven't been able to get too much in terms of SM tools. I'm already in a run right now so my need for tools and gadgets is pretty small. But these are things I used on my iPod touch, or have heard are fantastic iPad apps.

Time calculator
is a great app to figure out running times. It's an iPhone app that I've used often since I got my iPod touch, and I now use it on my iPad despite the pixelated-ness. 

A friend of mine swears by Omnifocus. She uses it for iPhone (priced at $20) but the iPad app is a pretty staggering $40. I haven't pulled the trigger on this myself, but I'm getting close. I can't seem to find anything that does what this program can do as well as it does. It syncs through the cloud and to a desktop app.

I personally use filemaker pro for all things stage management, so I will be downloading Filemaker Pro for iPad. It's a way to modify your database directly from your iPad which will make my life very simple and happy.

Last one I have right now that I use every once and a while is Tally Lite. It's a simple Tally counter that can help you keep track of difficult cue sequences (ie you have 12 quick LQ go's and you don't want to accidentally call 13).

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:36 am »
I just bought an iPad and asked a fellow SM for suggestions of useful apps.  Here is the list I came up with:

Docs to Go    $16.99
Pages       $9.99
Numbers    $9.99
iAnnotate    $9.99
CalenGoo    $6.99
Goodreader     $4.99
GContact Lite    $1.99
Desktop.     $.99
First Aid     Free
ShowTool SM $4.99
iBooks    Free
PaperPhobic     Free
DrawCast     Free
AutoCAD WS Free
Time Calculator $.99
Dropbox     Free
Google    Free
Nefflix    Free

Other
NYTimes    Free
TV Guide   Free

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:45 pm »
At Blue Man Group, they use excel on the iPad to create reports. They created the template, fill in the details and email to the distribution list all from the iPad.  Pretty nifty.

The drawing software sounds cool. I didn't know there was a cad version available, I will have to check that out. I wonder if there's a vectorworks version.

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2011, 02:56 pm »
I love this discussion... earlier this year I worked to make my Ipad work for me as an amazing SM tool. I do all of my rehearsal and performance reports via filemaker Pro so I downloaded the File2go program that filemaker has made for the ipad, this along with a wireless keyboard (bluetooth) they are only 69.00 make the ipad priceless. I also find it invaluable in design and production meetings as being easy to take notes on and also display images and being able to pass around to the team with great ease.

I also use the SM tool program on the device as well and really enjoy it! :)

John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

Delbert

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is where I am in developing a list of apps and other technology to use with the iPad for SM and PM work.

I set up a production calendar on my.calendar.net.  This is where the SM will put all meetings, rehearsals, costume fitting, work calls, production dates, etc. associated with the production.  Everyone associated with the production can see it.

I got out IT department to set up a virtual web server for me (with PHP, MySQL, and WebDAV).  All production files (reports, prop list, set drawings, etc.) will be stored there and each member of the production staff will be able to access these files via WebDAV.  This works from computers and the iPad.  I like Quick Office, but it does not communicate via WebDAV so I am currently planning to use Numbers and Pages to create most documents.  I will created lots of forms in Numbers (saved as .xls files).  It is sooooo easy to create documents on a computer (in MS Office) and save them to the "cloud" via WebDAV and then download them onto the iPad - and then edit them and save them back to the cloud.  BTW, Docs2Go has gotten good reviews too, but I have not looked at it. 

I got a DropBox account and tried it out, (it works well for several programs on the iPad).  This was before I got WebDAV setup. 

I will probably use PDF Expert for the prompt script.  It has a beautiful interface and is easy to use. (I have not looked at iAnnotate, but I hear good things about it).

We are going to put our audition form online, starting this fall.  Actors can fill it out and submit it in advance.  The data will be sent directly to the SM, who will print it out for the director.  This will be handled via PHP. The director of the first show is very excited about getting "type written" audition forms that he can read. 

There will be several other apps on the SM's iPad, but we are still looking at what those might be.

ShowTools SM has gotten very mixed reviews and I have not tried it yet.  I hate have to purchase an app, just to try it out, but that is the way it currently is. 

I will keep you updated as to how this experiment is going and what we decide to use. If you have any suggestions or questions for me, you can email me directly at halld@etsu.edu

Thanks again.

-Delbert

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:15 pm »
Delbert, thank you for the update here and I am definitely looking forward to hearing how this works for your students.  I am interested to hear both the pros and cons your students encounter.  Additionally I think our professional SMs would be interested how you foresee a "real world" application differing from the classroom/laboratory environment (I say this not as a negative, but one of the benefits of academia is that you can experiment like this). 

The iPad to me is a very interesting technology as it represents one of the first steps in a paradigm shift in how we interface with technology.  To me there's still a bit of an "Apple Fanboy" buzz around the product, but I think as this technology matures and becomes less of a novelty we'll find more uses than many originally thought; I think this will be especially true for a career like stage management where so many are on the go constantly. 

Very much looking forward to your updates!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39 pm »
I am closing a show on Sunday. This is the first show I have used an iPad for... still working out the kinks.
There is a app called Rehearsal (19.99). I LOVE this app! It may be the Actor/Techie Brain that I run on that makes this app magical, I am not sure. I will say that my Artistic Director was cracking up after I downloaded it because every time I would show it to someone, I would literally jump up and down with joy.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2011, 02:28 am »
Okay . . . I have an iPad.

The puppies got it for me for opening night (a little early, but I have some down time next week to play and learn).  And I want to be up to speed on it before my next show out of town.

So far, just getting used to it, but themikejones list is ideal so far . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2011, 08:50 pm »
I tried to use my iPad as much as I possibly could on my last show-- which just closed.  I found that I used Dropbox and iAnnotate a lot.

I also downloaded an app that wasn't on my original list that I found invaluable.  It's called Note Taker HD.  It makes it easy to 'write' on the iPad with a stylus.  When a director is quickly rattling off the next day's schedule, for example, I think that jotting down into Note Taker is much faster than typing it on the iPad's awkward keyboard.  (Though, it's perhaps not as fast as simply writing on a piece of paper.)

I found it useful to have my iPad with me whenever I was walking around the building.  In one small device I had the script, groundplan, props list, checklists, video clips of choreography rehearsal, all the sound cue mp3's, all my reports, AEA agreement, and an archive or e-mail correspondence.  This allowed me to quickly answer any question that might be asked of me by a Production Manager or anyone who I could bump into. 

All that being said, I found that using the iPad to create a checklist, report, or prop tracking sheet was extremely frustrating.  It's best to create these documents on the macbook, drop them into Dropbox and then read/annotate them on the iPad.   

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2011, 08:56 pm »
TONS of them at the TCG conference - people using them for literally everything, from note taking to checking email to whatever - (hmm, I thought theaters were all hurting for funding...) anyway, curious, but right now not in the budget or the near future unless I win one -

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2011, 09:51 pm »
This is only tangentially related but I thought it was such a smart and quick fix for a short term situation.

A friend of mine was doing an event in a small non-theater space and needed to call the show from the "wings" but there was no monitor system, so they set up a wireless wifi enabled webcam and streamed it to their ipad next to the SM at the calling station. From when I watched part of it there seemed to be no discernible lag between action and the monitor feed. I was pretty impressed.

Has anyone tried a tablet that is not the iPad? I'm not exceptionally keen on the Apple products but love love love my droid. (To each their own) I'd love to hear if anyone else has recommendations for a different brand, especially an Android OS
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick